Overview and playback slow after update

Same over here.

Opening the Overview page on an iPad Pro takes 20 seconds.
The time between pressing play and playing varies between 15 seconds and 1 minute.

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this slowness occur on all remote devices or only the iPad Pro?

Core: QNAP NAS, NasBook TBS-453A, memory 5,22 GB, Free memory 3,18 GB, Roon Version 1.6 (build 390), Roon CPU usage 7 à 10 %, memory usage 935 MB with a collection of 16605 tracks.
2 bridges:

• USBridge running DietPi, v6.20.5 with roon version 1.0 build 169
  • DigiOne running DietPi, v6.20.5 with roon version 1.0 build 169
    1 roon ready:
  • oppo UDP203, with RAAT SDK Version 1.1.21
    3 controls:
  • Mac Pro late 2013, Sierra, Roon Version 1.6 (build 390)
  • MacBook Pro, Mojave, Roon Version 1.6 (build 390)
  • iPadPro, ios12.1.3

Router: Airport Extreme, version 7.7.9
All wired except for oppo, DigiOne and iPad

The slowness happens most frequently and profoundly between iPad and oppo but is not always there. And happening since the upgrade.
Have also added Qobuz since then into the picture.

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

Can you verify if there is any analysis being performed (spinner in upper right)?

Does the playback slowness only occur with Qobuz content or local content as well? Can you provide a couple of examples? What content are you trying to play and how long does it take to load?

Does the overview slowness only occur on the iPad Pro? Are other remotes faster at loading this screen?

Hi,

Thanks for coming back.
I’ll check during the weekend.
The problem is that the behavior is not consistent.
Today until now, the overview page has come up in due time, even on the iPad.

1 Like

That analysis spinner in the upper right does that appear in all screens? I didn’t notice it.
The overview slowness appears not only on the iPad Pro, but also on an iPhone.

I had several instances of slowness (overviewpage and starting a song) during the weekend.
One example of a ‘slow’ overviewpage was while playing Dream Weaver from The Charles Lloyd Quartet from the album Passin’ Thru (Qobuz).

I will be trying other combinations and report back.

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

How many tracks total are in your library (Qobuz, TIDAL, and local)?

What are your typical internet speeds?

Can you provide some specific examples of playback that is slow? What are you playing? How long does it take to load?

Local: 5685
Tidal: 4947
Qobuz: 6385

Internet Speeds: 23.9 Mbps download, 2.13 Mbps upload

For the moment everything is playing fine. Tried local, qobuz and tidal files from iPad. I send more details when it reoccurs.

Very slow start encountered.

a) playing Antony and the Johnsons, “You are My Sister” from local (35% away)
b) then clicking on “La Musica y la Palabra” from Or Bareket on Qobuz

Took a minute; meanwhile the time indicator kept changing blue/grey.

Similar if moving from Or Bareket after 40% to Whatever you do of Brandi Carlile on qobuz, but also heavily when moving then (after 75%) to Dave Douglas Quintet, Brazen Heart (Live) on Tidal.

I have the impression that the player only starts when all versions have been retrieved which can take a time.

Now also experienced it on Mac Pro with a wired connection.
Slow overview page and more than 30 seconds to start playing the album Piano Quintets, Granados|Turina, Javier Perianes, Cuarteto Quiroga from Qobuz.

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

I’d like to ask you to perform the following tests so we can gather some information about what your current performance is like. After each step below (except the reboot) let us know how many seconds each action takes:

1. Reboot your Core machine.
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

I’ll pass the above information over to the technical team to aid in their investigation. Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

I think I do have some input for you.
My system wasn’t workable anymore since 1.6.
I decided this morning to migrate my core from the QNAP which was underspeced but with which I never had problems using 1.5 to a much more powerful Mac Pro.
I did the tests you asked and all the requested actions performed immediately.
So my hypothesis is that 1.6 requires much more/better metal than 1.5.

Hope this helps.

Paul

1 Like