Paid Subscription To Tidal, Qobuz, Both, or Neither

Tidal. Because I need no more than 16/44.1.

Qobuz Sublime+ started a couple months ago when they dropped the price a bit. I got it for the Hi-Res purchase discount.

I’m surprised Tidal is holding up so well in this survey for the obvious reason.

It has been integrated with Roon longer, hasn’t it? I wonder if that is a factor.

Probably. This same poll will probably look different in six months.

I found in my systems Qobuz to sound better and provide better stability.

1 Like

For me, it depends on how I’m listening. However, I do love the Qobuz 24/192 with headphones. Tidal MQA is good also when using Dragonfly and headphones. With my Bose, they both sound equally good.

Qobuz only.
Before Qobuz was integrated with Roon, I tried to resubscribe with Tidal. I paid for it during 2 years but actually did not use it a lot.
When I purchased Roon license, I tried to signup with Tidal again, but I never was able to do so. After 5 or more unanswered inquiries, I gave up. It was clear they were not interested in having me back.
With such a support, I wil never signup with them even if they would pay me to do so.

Based in Belgium, I am extremely happy with Qobuz both on sound quality as with their business model, as I still buy albums that I really like. I only become a little bit more selective and focus on buying albums of new upcoming artists.
Only their catalog is sometimes lacking - Chesky Records e.g.

I sincerely hope they will survive. Lowering their subscription prices in the US is understandable to protect and support their (slow ?) customer uptake.
I am not convinced it would be good for their business if they would lower their subscription fees worldwide. Like everyone else, I would like to pay less, but if they would raise their prices with e.g. 25% in order to stay in business, I would not hesitate one second to continue my subscription to support them
Dirk

3 Likes

Both, and taking a year to assess the degree of overlap, or otherwise, of their catalogs before maybe cutting one. Prefer Qobuz for offering hi res without the reliance on MQA (only one of my nine endpoints supports it), but at the end of the day it’s the catalog that counts.

Also Spotify family for my kids, and occasional local catalog that T/Q don’t cover.

I paid for one year of Qobuz and six months of Tidal. I have 5 months to decide if I will keep Tidal or let it go.

I have Tidal, but jazz catalog is not so good, it is bad actually. Same with Qobuz.

Spotify is way better for jazz, but it is not integrated with roon , unfortunately.

I have both currently as combined it very rarely doesn’t have an album I’m looking for…QQ though, can you state a preference for one service so that when you quick-add an album it will add the version from your preferred service?

I would be interest in Qobuz because of the price, but I’m staying with Tidal because Tidal has a better pop catalog than Qobuz. Tidal has a bunch of original albums that Qobuz doesn’t, and Qobuz has a lot of lame covers that pollute the search results imo, which Tidal doesn’t have.

While I dont have Qobuz I do run most of my endpoints via RopieeeXL on Raspberry Pi’s and this allows for playback of Spotify, AirPlay and DLNA and thus other applications to all those endpoints even without Roon in the mix.

Great work Harry has done in this regard, as accessing the different options is seamless from the point of view of not having to make constant settings changes…only caveat is volume settings for units that are using powered AMP hats seem to be controlled (max range) by the last setting in Roon.

I currently have both, although I didn’t ‘vote’ as this is just a temporary situation while I re-evaluate Qobuz. I’ve been using Tidal for a few years, first with Naim’s native integration, then with Roon. I was initially reluctant to go for Qobuz due to some extremely poor customer service experiences a couple of years back, but decided to give them another look now that they are supported by Roon.

Neither. Apple Music family. Cheapest for 5 members and the largest catalog.

Yep. I subscribe to Apple Music for the family as well. They wouldn’t be without it, and the UI is far more preferable than the Qobuz app UI. Roon certainly enhances my Qobuz interaction.

Tidal HiFi/Masters

Tidal, we don’t have either Qobuz or Amazon in South Africa

Tidal because of its emphasis on MQA.