Paid Subscription To Tidal, Qobuz, Both, or Neither

Both - Tidal & Qobuz

I was just signed up to Qobuz, but Tidal sent me a five-month family subscription offer that I couldn’t refuse. Now I have both plus local library integration. I have been excited to try the Tidal 360 headphone gimmick, so now is my chance.

I don’t know who has noticed, but it appears to me Qobuz has caught up with Tidal regarding their library of albums. I like to keep links to both Tidal and Qobuz when possible because I like comparing the quality. I also have one system that can play 24/192 and one that can play MQA.

I just found that, except for about 20 albums, all of my albums are now available on both services. I have just over 500 albums linked in each and almost all are duplicates.

1 Like

Had both Tidal and Qobuz (CD quality) for past two years. Just decided to cancel Tidal and upgrade to Qobuz Sublime. Main reason: musical tastes (classical) served better by Qobuz

Tidal
Apple Music.
Roon

If I drop Tidal i’ll also drop Roon at the end of my subscription.
Unless they can add Apple Music or Amazon.

Now that Qobuz has almost all of my music choice, I may drop Tidal when my 6 months subscription runs out, especially if they don’t lower their price. I have a 24/192 capable headphone amp arriving Thursday, so I may no longer care about MQA.

Are you in the US?

Curious, because I am, and the Qobuz library still has a lot of holes compared to Tidal.

EDIT: I see from your profile that you’re in the US. Could be a difference in music preferences I guess. In any case, glad to see Qobuz is improving. Wish it were faster and more so. :slight_smile:

That would have to be a difference in our music choices.

I dropped Tidal and went Qobuz Sublime + and will drop the Sublime next month now that the streaming is much lower priced.

Qobuz library seems to be getting better…still some 24-192 items I see on HDtracks not in Qobuz…frustrating as a Sublime+ customer.

Just Joined Qubuz and I notice they are missing all but one album from “Five finger death punch”. Looks like I will have to buy a cd and rip it

I’ve never heard of this band but I’m signed up to Qobuz (Sublime+ but I don’t think that makes a difference) and I just searched from within Roon and it pulled up 10 albums dating from 2007 (“The Way of the Fist”) to 2020 (“F8”). I’m in the UK so maybe it’s a regional thing. Where are you?

I also see 13 albums for sale on the UK download store (some might be duplicates, I scanned the list of 50 or 60 entries and counted anything that had an album-like price against it (e.g. £11.99 high-res, £7.99 CD) as opposed to something that had no price against it (not available for download) or had a sub-£1 price indicating it was a single track not a whole album. The latest 2020 “F8” is available for both high-res and normal CD download by the way.

It might be worth seeing if you can do some trickery with a VPN to be able to purchase off the UK store. I purchased from the Qobuz store way before I signed up to a sub so if necessary you could set up a separate account for download purchases only on the UK store if it has your current login tied to wherever you are right now although even doing that it is possible that your payment method might need to be local. I have no idea but maybe worth a try?

In answer to the question in this thread - I have Qobuz Sublime+ and Tidal £19.99 a month but I’m not sure that Tidal is adding much so I’ll probably cancel it at least for a while. If I feel that I’m missing anything then I’ll sign back up.

definitely a regional thing. I only have two albums. I am also noticing other of my favorite artists not in Qobuz. I might have dropped the gun too quickly. Amazon HD has everything but it is not a service in Roon.

Qobuz. None is available in my country, so i guess Qobuz was just easier since it only needs vpn at account creation time.
Also like that I don’t need to mess with MQA with it, and the sublime+ download deals while not very frequent can be a really cheap way to enlarge my local collection too.

I have a few over 500 albums on both Tidal and Qobuz, most of which are duplicates. I like to listen to both as a comparison.

On Tidal, 186 of these are MQA files. On Qobuz 239 are > 48 kHz. So, in my opinion, Qobuz has now surpassed Tidal in every way for the music I listen to.

Qobuz (signed up last month).

For comparison, I’m still getting things cleaned up, but I’ve got 481 albums in Qobuz and 136 in Tidal, and I’m only adding albums to Tidal when they’re not available on Qobuz.

Yep, I trialed Amazon HD as well, but ended up canceling because it’s almost impossible for me to actually use their Hi-Res on my system, and there’s no roon integration (which, were they to add it, would solve the first issue).

Ended up with Qobuz for the audio quality and Tidal for the catalog.

Also finding Tidal’s 360 Reality Audio to be pretty slick on my Sony NC headphones, although that part of the catalog’s still pretty limited.

1 Like

@jasonheyd. @danny So I slithered back to Tidal reluctantly. If I can’t find my music it doesn’t matter how great the sound is. I will give it another year to catch up but by then hopefully Roon will have given support to Amazon HD. We shall see.

I no longer have any reason to keep Tidal. I have 1163 linked albums in Roon. That includes 581 from Tidal and 582 from Qobuz. They are the same albums. For my music taste, Qobuz has fully caught up with Tidal.

1 Like

Since you have a fully capable MQA headphone amp and DAC, it sounds like you came to a similar conclusion that I did. I just thought Qobuz tracks were richer sounding. Both Tidal and Qobuz are good quality, but I thought Qobuz was better.

1 Like