PC and Apple devices can't play from Roon Core after latest Roon Software updates

I’m running Roon Core from a portable Samsung SSD disk attached to my Synology NAS. This has worked fine for over a year. After the latest Roon Software update (1.8) neither my PC (latest Windows 10) or my Apple devices (iPhone 12 Pro and different iPads) can access the Core. I get a message saying “There was an issue loading your data base”.
Both the Core and PC/Apple devices are running the latest Roon software as is the Synology NAS (Roon Server software from March 2021). All hardware have ample capacity for storing and running Roon.
The PC/Apple obviously see the NAS and Core but can’t see or identify the data. The NAS shows the Roon Server software as “installed” and “running” and I can also see my files when accessing the SSD drive from Synology desktop.

What can I do about this to get everything up and running again?

Thanks
Goran

Hello @Goran_Celander,

I am so sorry that this was the reason you had to reach out on community and, I’m even more sorry that we took this long to get back to you. I am so sorry :pleading_face:

The error you’re seeing is extremely rare for us. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly. We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

You can use these instructions to set up Roon fresh:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • (Optional) Restore Roon from a backup at least a week before this issue started

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

I hope you can give this a try :pray:

Hey @Goran_Celander,

It’s been a while since we first had this conversation. I wanted to write back and see if there’s anything else we can help with :nerd_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 46 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.