Periodic crashes in ROCK 1.0 build 186 / Roon 1.7 build 536

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK 1.0 build 186 Intel NUC6i3SYK Roon 1.7 build 536 controlling with Roon 1.7 build 528 on iPad 5th generation (MP242LL/A) iOS 13.3.1

Network Details
ROCK wired GE connection to home firewall Fortinet FortiGate FG-61E FortiOS 6.2.3, iPad on WLAN via FortiAP managed by same FortiGate; wired LAN and WLAN are on different internal RFC1918 networks (they communicate fine and FortiGate security policy permits all IP between ROCK and iPad)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
USB direct from ROCK to Meridian Explorer2, ALSA; configuration screenshots attached

Description Of Issue
Sometimes crashes with burst of noise when tapping selection to commence play while playing something else. Roon then refuses to play anything until complete power down and back up, any attempt just advances to next track until end of playlist. Restarting Roon only from ROCK webpage leads to Roon losing Meridian Explorer2 audio device definition which does not recover until hard power down and back up.

Uncertain, but may be related to change in sample size/rate, have noticed brief burst of noise between tracks on mixed playlist.

Hi @Gregory_Truex,

By “crashes” do you mean to say that the music just stops playing or that the Roon app on your remote controlling ROCK quits as well?

• Does similar behavior occur to any of your other zones?
  • Do you have the latest firmware on your Meridian Explorer?
  • If you try playing to your iPad’s internal speakers, do you notice the same issue occurring there when the Meridian Explorer is in this state?

The Roon app on the iPad always stays up. When I say crash I mean brief (sub-second) burst of ugly static, then silence. Roon app shows skip to the next track immediately followed by skip to the next track after that and so on to the end of the queue. Nothing will play again until ROCK itself is powered down and back up. Have tried restarting Roon Core software via web interface without hardware power cycle, but that never works.

Hi @Gregory_Truex,

Thanks for clarifying the issue. Please let me know the answer to the other questions I requested above so I have a better understanding if this is a Core or an endpoint issue:

Thanks I’ll look into setting that up today. Right now I have only one zone set up. Pretty confident that Meridian has latest firmware but will confirm that as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.