Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Intel 9900k
16GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired gigabit network

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When trying to install Roon Core on my Ubuntu server, it’s throwing a permission denied error. I’m using the installation script. Any idea how to get past this? Should I just be doing the manual install instead?

Downloading RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.cYVUUmcS3b/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2

################################################################################################################################# 100.0%

Unpacking RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2...Done
./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh: line 205: /tmp/tmp.cYVUUmcS3b/RoonServer/check.sh: Permission denied

You need to sudo the install script:

sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

I am. the installer wouldn’t get that far if sudo wasn’t used, as it detects that. Here’s the full output if you want to see it, but the only interesting bit is what I included in the original post.

sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the RoonServer installer

This installer sets up RoonServer to run on linux with the following settings:

- RoonServer will be installed in /opt/RoonServer
 - RoonServer's data will be stored in /var/roon/RoonServer
 - RoonServer will be configured to run as a system service
 - RoonServer will run as root

These settings are suitable for turning a dedicated or semi-dedicated device
into an appliance that runs RoonServer

If you want customize how RoonServer is installed, see:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want to install RoonServer on this machine? [Y/n] Y

Downloading RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.RhITZOD8TB/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2

################################################################################################################################# 100.0%

Unpacking RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2...Done
./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh: line 205: /tmp/tmp.RhITZOD8TB/RoonServer/check.sh: Permission denied

The RoonServer installer did not complete successfully.

If you are not sure how to proceed, please check out:

- Roon Labs Community            https://community.roonlabs.com/c/support
 - Roon Labs Knowledge Base       https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

I should also mention that I’ve tried setting fs.protected_regular to 0 and the same problem occurs. I also tried installing as root and it still had the same problem.

Looking at the install script, …/check.sh is called as an executable, I wonder if somehow the unpacking of Roonserver_linuxx64.tar.bz2 into the tmp directory is failing to assign the right permissions (including execute) to that script. I’m just a user who has installed Roon on multiple Ubuntu Server machines, 20.04 and 22.04, with no difficulty. Maybe you could look at that tmp directory to see if permissions and ownership look correct? Could there be a umask or ACL issue in your particular setup that trips up the install script?

I’ll have to add a break point in the script, as it cleans up the files immediately after the failure. I’ll try it tonight and see what I can find.

Just to note, my Ubuntu install is pretty much out of the box. It’s a standard server installation and then Plex was installed. Nothing was done to change the default /tmp permissions/

When you can’t solve this you might want to try running Roon server in a Docker container, in case you are familiar with Docker. This works nicely on my NAS. See also GitHub - steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver: RoonServer downloading Roon on first run

Got it working, but I still don’t know why it didn’t work in the first place. Permissions were fine for the extracted files in the tmp directory. To fix the problem, I updated the script to download and unpack in another directory I created. That allowed the install to complete successfully.

Glad it worked! I vaguely recall I had permission issues with /tmp once with my first Ubuntu Server setup, related to file system type/location, but I can’t remember the details now.

/tmp in Ubuntu is not mounted with executable rights for security reasons as far as I know

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.