Phantoms after 2.14.4 firmware update lossless up to 96k/24

Great update from Devialet. The Phantoms now stream over RAAT lossless up to 96k/24 instead of only 48k/24. The new firmware 2.14.4 is very stable both for Qobuz streaming and playing local files. Higher resolution files or streams are sample converted to 96k/24 or 88.2k/24.

5 Likes

Great news!

I just noticed that myself about one hour ago, playing a 24/96 file on a single Phantom.
Previously it would down sample that resolution, now it plays the full 24/96 on a single Phantom.

Very happy with this result.

1 Like

Good news… But can the cat’s hear the difference?

2 Likes

Yes, but not all what we hear is there and what we don’t isn’t.

1 Like

Streamy, was a bit of a joke to Kevin.

I actually think it is great when companies continue to improve their products after release and we do not see enough of that at the moment, when companies would rather release a new product.

As the aging owner of a growing selection of high resolution albums, I am waiting for something to help me hear the additional resolution in the files. Though it doesn’t stop me enjoying them.

1 Like

Can you not hear the difference?

Can’t wait for that.
I will buy more 24/192 then instead of stopping at 24/96 .
Get to spend all that money again :see_no_evil:

1 Like

No really. Sometimes I just enjoy the remastered and remixed versions

I’m not trying to mock anybody, but if you want to hear anything beyond what’s there in CD resolution, you’ll have to wait until our auditory systems evolves enough to hear above 20kHz and/or not get permanently damaged by levels of 120dB SPL and above. Assuming that’s the direction of evolution… If a remaster sounds differently, it’s not because of increased resolution.

1 Like

With all due respect I think you are missing the point. The point of high resolution audio is not the reproduction of ultrasonic information, but avoiding the effects of low pass brick wall filters in the time domain in the audio band. You are welcome to continue enjoying CD resolution audio and wait for your auditory system to evolve, and I will continue to enjoy high resolution reproduction with my decidedly average middle-aged hearing.

1 Like

So @streamy68 (I think you know what I am going to say! :wink:), as I reported over at devialetchat I tested the new 2.14.4 firmware release with your test files and my initial findings indicate that nothing has changed. In other words the signal in both the 24/96 and 24/192 files appears to have been low pass filtered somewhere between 44 kS/s and 50 kS/s (presumably 48 kS/s).

However Roon is reporting in “Signal path” that the 24/96 audio is being reproduced losslessly which would appear to be incorrect. I am guessing that the Phantoms are not reporting this subsequent filtering back to Roon.

@danny, what’s your view on this? Is correct reporting of downstream processing not part of the RAAT certification? Any other light you can shed?

If I am wrong and there is some error in my method hopefully somebody will point it out. Nobody will be happier than me!

1 Like

I’m not missing the point, but I don’t want to get into another discussion on why brick wall filtering is not an issue with 44.1k Hz. I did it in other posts.

Fine, then it seems our difference of opinion is more of a ‘religious’ nature and there is probably no point in pursuing it.

There’s no ‘religion’ in the measurements that show what people can and cannot hear.

Sorry, you’re losing me now.

• If you’re talking about the frequency domain where there are very simple ‘measurements that show what people can and cannot hear’ then I (still) respectfully suggest you are missing the point.

• If you are talking about the time domain where there are no measurements I am aware of ‘that show what people can and cannot hear’ (at least as far as phase shifts are concerned, as opposed to jitter - if you have some please provide links) then I continue to suspect we are religiously divided. My own measuring instruments (my ears) can hear the effects, and that is enough for me.

1 Like

Indeed! According to your measurements made using my files a 25kHz sine signal is not transformed into an acoustic signal that your microphone would record. Obviously, the Phantom speaker internally filters or down samples (I tend to believe latter) before it drives the tweeter. Before the update the Roon signal path showed this as far as I can recall. The question is where RAAT ends to report the signal path.

According to this post RAAT only displays what the device reports.

If down sampling to 48kHz still takes place Devialet has simply stopped informing RAAT about it.
However, I believe that there might be more to this than we know presently so a conclusion is difficult to make. One thing seems certain; 25kHz is not reproduced by the Phantom.

1 Like

Which Phantoms have you got?

@David_S whom were you asking? If me, Phantom I Golds anno 2017.