Physical Volume Control Knob

I run Roon from my PC on a rack with keyboard and mouse. I can control it remotely with an iPad. OK.

What I need is a relatively large physical volume knob at the PC and what I have found is a USB volume control (https://www.droking.com/usb-controller-usb-volume-audio-adjuster-pc-speakers-switch-control-module-for-adjusting-volume-of-computer-laptop?search=Volume%20control&description=true). This works fine with JRiver set for internal (DSP) volume control. There is no setting where Roon will respond to it. Is this possible?

Also, have anyone tried the Microsoft Surface Dial for this?

If Roon is in the foreground and you can configure what keystrokes your knob sends, you can use the Windows Roon hotkeys for volume up and down (ctrl-up and ctrl-down).

Otherwise, your best bet in my view is to use a separate device (I use a RPi Zero W) running a Roon extension that can control volume from configurable keys. (I think there are a few out there, but if you need mine let me know; it is a kludge but it works.) This solves the problem of needing to capture keystrokes at the system level, since you can just run it as root and the only keystrokes on that RPi are coming from the knob.

I have tried a Surface Dial and it will only control system volume, which doesn’t do any good. (Also, as far as I can tell it cannot be used with any non-Windows devices.)

@Danny has a private project using a Griffin USB knob as a volume control. I’d like to see this work with RoPieee as well as I have one in a draw, but I’m not sure how to put it together (software wise).

@MJB Ropieee.org is your best option

Doesn’t work. The Drok sends (ctrl-+ and ctrl--) which works on JRiver but only on system volume when Roon is on top.

Nah. Too much added clutter/bother. Thanks anyway.