Pi4 not showing in audio settings in Roon

Hi again. I recently came back to Ropieee on my RPi as I am now using it as a network bridge for Roon and I noted the update for the Ropieee kernel and thought it might be successful this time. I also really liked the idea of USB audio out using Airplay when I needed it. I have it connected via Ethernet to my router and to my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic via USB.

At first success and my SM6 Was identified in a Roon As an end point and plays without problems. However I am leaving the RPi on 24/7 but of course switching off my SM6 at night. It does not appear in Roon again after switching it back on until I reboot the RPi then it shows up. So there still seems to me an issue with the USB ports going to sleep here, or something similar.

My setup with Raspbian, updated kernel and Roon bridge installed on it has not failed once since I wrote that post.

Edit: I bought another RPi 4 and I slotted my Ropieee install into this and now it works. So looks like an issue with the original RPi I had and USB (although works with Raspbian) odd but glad it works.

Hi there,
Sorry to say I have the same problem.

Today I built a RoPieee device with a Pi4B, HifiBerry Digi+ Pro. RoPieee on it (no XL).

The device doesnā€™t show up in settings/audio in Roon. Rebooted everything several times, but no luck. Iā€™m using the correct HAT in settings.

I like to use this connected to my Yamaha receiver, on the digital coaxial input. Tested everything with receiver turned on and off, no luck.

Anyone any idea? I already sent feedback with # 344460a650d751ca

Thanks in advance for your response.
Peter

Did you reboot everything?

Yes, everything. Several times. Even the networkswitch (you never knowā€¦)

Did you install the Spockfish Roon Extension?

No. Sorry, never heard of. Is that something I have to do in Roon?

Hi Peter,

It does not show up because it fails to setup the HAT properly.
Hence no audio device, which results in no show-up in Roon.

Can you try the ā€˜hifiberry digiā€™ HAT instead of the ā€˜proā€™?

Thanks

He does not need the extension. Thatā€™s only used when having a touchscreen, in this case thereā€™s simply no audio device.

1 Like

Thanks for your response Harry.

Set the HAT to Hifiberry Digi+. Reset everything, inclusing the ROON core (Mac Mini).
Unfortunately no luck. Iā€™d sent a new response, # 0ba23711a258862f

Maybe I should try to upgrade to XL? Maybe a new image on the SD card?

Thanks,
Peter.

Same problem: The HAT is not properly initialised.

Switching to XL does not change a thing (itā€™s exactly the same software).
Only you could try is a reflash and make sure the HAT is properly mounted.

If not then Iā€™m suspecting the HAT is defect.

OK, thanks. I will try this tomorrow. For now good night and thanks for your help.

2 Likes

OKā€¦ wellā€¦
Had some spare time so I rebuild the hardware (kept the same SD card, no re-flash).
Guess whatā€¦, itā€™s OK now!

Also found out what was wrong. Looks like the spacers that came with the HifiBerry HAT are too large. Because of that the connection between Pi and HAT was not fully made. After I rebuild the hardware outside the case it all worked fine. Awkwardā€¦

Anyway, thanks for your help Harry and Jim!
Peter.

3 Likes

Experienced same kind of connection problems when placing HifiBerry Digi+ Pro and Raspberry PI in a PiHut metal casing. Indeed found out after rebuilding outside the case that building it together was the cause. PiHut case is designed to screw Raspberry to bottom half and Hifiberry to top half. After that very difficult to join both parts and at the same time making sure the hat connects :dizzy_face:

Is this a problem just with that combination of HifiBerry HAT (Dig+) and case ? Iā€™m wondering about getting a DAC+ Pro, or a DAC 2 HDā€¦

Well it is no longer a problem for my Digi+ Pro, it just needs some proper attention putting it together. Now that it put together properly and is working it is flawless.

2 Likes

Hi all - Iā€™m having this same issue. Pi4 model B 2 GB with the latest version of Ropieee(from 12/2/20 I believe) and I can see the Pi on my network can log in via web interface have my USB DAC connected but nothing showing up in Roon? Does not show up as a bridge or an audio device. The DAC is a SMSL M8A and when I plug it in to the USB port of the Pi it acts as though it is connected as it switches to DSD mode but just nothing showing in Roon? Was any real fix to this problem found?

First make sure the DAC is connected and switched on. Then check if the RPi4 is showing up in Roon under ā€œSettingsā€ -> ā€œAboutā€? If so does it show up under ā€œSettingsā€ -> ā€œAudioā€? If so ā€œEnableā€ it and it should be available?

Thanks for your feedback Bart. Yes DAC is on and does not show up in Settings-> about or settings --> audio.

Just to add some detail I have two other PI3 running Ropieee with two different HATs and they run and are recognized without issue. I have disconnected them while I try and work through this problem.

Also just tried a different DAC, iFi One, which is USB powered and it seems to be connected but still nothing in Roon.

Also noticed that this new Pi4 takes a long time to initialize. Seems up to 5 minutes or so. Much longer than the other Pi3ā€™s

I have two Rpi4ā€™s and one RPi3 and the RPi4ā€™s are faster rebooting and initializing. Are you sure that your RPi4 is connecting to your network?