Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

I will rip it and put it on Plex (for use with Sonos Arc and surround for the odd multi channel listen) with multiple audio tracks and then make a CD and 24 bit version for Roon.

I already listened to it on Qobuz and I thought it sounded great and slightly different to amy of the Digital, CD, vinyl and SACD versions I already have

My only Blue-ray player left in the house is in the man cave and is used for ripping SACDs for putting into Roon, but Plex does me proud.

1 Like

Sounds like both an excellent set of ideas and a rewarding project. Hope you have a great time implementing the plan. I wish that the CD I received today had an SACD layer. Let me know how the project goes. Hope you can wait until Christmas.

1 Like

WHAT … :smiling_imp: I suppose you can at least listen on Tidal

My wife tried to wrap up my new HiFi Man Arya’s for Xmas , 2 months …

For once I won

1 Like

Very true I have multiple versions to listen too already and it’s on Tidal and Qobuz (though only stereo for me).

I can survive a few CDs and Blue-rays going away, but I think having to wait more than 2 months for the headphones would drive me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That encompasses two different masterings: original mastering with pre-emphasis and secret remaster without pre-emphasis. Only the matrix outwardly can indicate the difference.

AJ

It sure does …

I got my copy today and the first thing was to rip it to my Plex for the Atmos mix. I must say that this was really good. Better than the Tidal Atmos version that was available for a little while before they took it down.

Next, like you, I’m going to make me a 24 bit version for Roon.

–MD

1 Like

Am I the only person in the world who can’t stand Pink Floyd? Maybe.

1 Like

I guess maybe that back in day ('73 - '74) in the back seat of a Camaro with 2 6x9 speakers cranked up full volume along with a slight buzz going on is probably what is missing for this to work for you. :upside_down_face:

Just kidding. Most of what I remember is that it was on the charts for many years from 1973 into the late 80’s.

–MD

1 Like

I was 10 years before in a 1964 1/2 Mustang. It was all Beatles.

1 Like

Nice work Mike and this is why we continue to buy physical media that we rarely put into anything to play :grin:
(Well that and the fact they can’t take them off us and replace it with a different version)

I visited an old colleague yesterday and he still had a large drawer under his TV cabinet full of music DVDs and Blu-ray’s of concerts and album videos and it was nice to see. I am not allowed this myself as I chose Plex :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes but you can rip all of those disk to Plex.

I was glad when Plex came along. At that time 99% of the dvds and blu-ray I owned were music.

Over the years I barely watch any of them. Plex came along and now they are all at my finger tips. And when Roon came along I added them to Roon.

–MD

I have bought a few more Blue-Rays over the last few weeks that came with special versions of albums and a couple of Multi Channel SACD (that still have excellent stereo versions for Roon ripping.
I really should spend more time watching them and I am sure I will over the next few years and all those shiny disks are up in the attic

1 Like

The Floyd went through a few stylistic periods. Their earliest stuff is quite different than Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. After Roger Waters’ departure, their stuff can be a bit more atmospheric and instrumental in places.

Have you given their entire catalog a go, @Jim_F, or do you find that it’s just not for you?

2 Likes

I listen to what Roon Daily Mixes and Roon Radio push out, but just don’t like them. I never have.

I felt the movie The Wall did a very good job of conveying the concept. Concept albums like it and Thick As a Brick were great places in which to get lost …where one song was tied to an ongoing story. In the case of The Wall, it is the case of “Pink”, the main character, he was alienated from society and even his own life, due largely to the trauma of losing his father, his stern mother and the caustic teachers. My understanding is that it emerged as Waters began to turn his back on the audience as the band performed. And it represented how he saw…and how he sees his world.

The earliest albums to which you refer were the Syd Barrett days. It is an interesting story that when they were writing Wish You Were Here (about Syd), .he came in, sat in the studio, and then departed without speaking. He had changed so much that they were initially unsure it was him. Ultimately, he was a non-compliant diabetic, and it cost him his life.

By contrast The Final Cut (great metaphor) was entirely Waters and his angst…after which he declared the band “creatively dead”. Then the litigation began.

“You lock the door and throw away the key; there’s someone in my head, but it’s not me.”

Maybe you didn’t smoke the right stuff :smiling_imp:

When I was at university some of my friends refused to lend me Grateful Dead American Beauty, they said cos I didn’t smoke I wouldn’t understand it

C’est la Vie

4 Likes

Not that it makes much difference, but I think it was pancreatic cancer that killed him, not diabetes.

1 Like

Thank you. I stand corrected.

1 Like

Oh no, @Mike_O_Neill you were cheated! :worried: American Beauty is such a lovely record. I do hope you’ve had an opportunity to enjoy it since your friends made that ill-conceived decision.

I have a friend who lives in Cambridge and only a few streets away from Syd’s flat. He’d occasionally see Syd riding a bike, walking, or in the corner shop. He never attempted to speak to Syd or engage in any way but would smile. Eventually, after Syd had grown accustomed to seeing him around, he would meekly smile back. He was quite happy that his gesture was eventually reciprocated.

3 Likes

Yes I managed to enjoy American Beauty and lots of other dead . This too was in Cambridge 1968-71

2 Likes