Windows 11, i7, 32mb ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi Network, Google Nest Mesh, Netgear GS108

Connected Audio Devices

Platin Stereo Hub → WiSA → Buchardt A500

Number of Tracks in Library

291k tracks

Description of Issue

The Platin stereo hub was recently roon certified.

Roon seems to resample everything to 48khz but the Platin stereo hub supports up to 24/96khz. A typical signal path looks like this.

Is there a technical reason why roon must resample from 44.1khz to 48khz? Also 96khz->48khz and 88.2khz->48khz. I have tried temporary hardwired ethernet of my core to the Netgear switch but it made no difference. Just for experimentation. It is not a practical option at this location. Is it somehow related to the discussion in this thread?

It may support input of 96/24 but likely downsamples internally for it to apply the inbuilt DSP which you don’t see outside of Roon but will be happening. The Platin Hub will be telling Roon that the speakers connected to it supportas part of the Roon Ready stuff and it will format it accordingly for optimisation. Also you can see this resampling is done after Roon RAAT not before, so therefore the hub and speakers are doing this. Anything after RAAT in Roon signal path is controlled by the device not Roon.

The other post has nothing to do with this and all to do with how Roon deals with HiRes material via Chromecast. If the end device does not advertise its hires capabilities by the correct Chromecast metadata flag Roon wont send it hires. It’s part of the Chromecast spec that many vendors don’t seem to adhere to, Roon follows Chromecast specs to the letter as they worked directly with Google, no hires flag no hires.

Thanks, not sure I follow. @support, I’d appreciate a response.

As some background. I was doing pretty much the same DSP before the Platin was certified using the Buchardt chromecast inside interface instead. In those scenarios the resampling on the signal path does not occur. I can use either the Buchardt’s DSP or roon’s DSP to accomplish much the same task. The Buchardt’s have ben voiced with quite an extended bass which just results in unlistenable boom at this location. That’s primarily what I use the DSP for.

I have just tried disabling the Platin interface and reverting to the chromecast inside interface I was using before and now I do not get resampling to 48khz (either with roon or Buchardt DSP).

Using Buchardt DSP (not reported to roon)

Using roon DSP

I prefer to us the Platin DSP as I can room correct identically other devices connected to the Platin.

There does seem to be some dependencies between the Platin and chromecast interfaces. Prior to certification the Platin interface would report an un-certified error and not connect. So only the chromecast interface was available. After certification the chromecast interface is only available if I disable the Platin interface.

PS. Since certification I am also getting a very noticable and loud “pop” randomly throughout a listening session. The pops do not happen at track transitions but randomly. Increasing the “resync” delay has no effect.

Roon is not doing the sample rate conversion. The Platin Stereo Hub is. See the Signal path screenshot you posted.

Seriously, why do so many users have difficulty following Roon’s very straightforward Signal path progression? This is one of Roon’s greatest strengths, yet some get it wrong. These misinterpretations get posted over and over again.

AJ

No, the sample rate conversion still is occurring. It is inherent in the Platin Stereo Hub. But Google Cast is not RAAT, so no further Signal path info gets conveyed back to Roon.

AJ

1 Like

Sorry but its all done on the Hub not Roon as I mentioned. Chromecast doesn’t feed back to Roon on the device as it’s not capable of such things, only RAAT and Roon Ready devices have this ability. The DSP engine on Buchardts is all done in 48Khz. This has even been mentioned by Darko in some of his posts.

Of course I have looked at the signal path I have posted. It doesn’t actually say which device has done the resampling, does it? I don’t know if your interpretation is anymore correct than mine. I would prefer if @support clarrified.

Tony I have said this already anything after RAAT in the signal path is being done by the device not Roon. Look at what you posted here.

Yes, it does. It is called a Signal “path” for a reason. It is not just a random jumble of processes. Rather, it displays a sequential path. Follow it from top to bottom. Note where any sample rate conversion is displayed.

AJ

Where is RAAT mentioned in the signal path?

[moderated]

Looks a bit of a jumble to me. Some steps are prefixed with a device, protocol etc. Some are not. It might make sense to you. But not a jot to me.

Top one here from you signal path. All else is not Roons doing it just tells you what is happening afterwards which is what Roons signal path is for as well as what is done before it gets sent.

In this example Google Cast is the delivery so nothing after as it gives no information back to Roon. But the same stuff will be happening that is shown when using RAAT as thats the audio chain of this device.

Thanks for clarifying. I was looking for RAAT not “Roon Advanced Audio Transport” as that is what you wrote.

Would resampling to 48khz when using DSP be the norm with all-in-one devices similar to the Buchardt’s? My main motivation for using such a device is space constraints at a summer cottage where I use them. Maybe, there are similar but more capable devices?

The signal path shows the step by step sequence of the audio chain. Starting with Source until it gets to the device, that is Roon. Anything after that is the device telling Roon what IT is doing so that Roon can display it. Not all streaming protocols support this return information, which in that case Roon can’t display anything.

In your case, everything before the Platin Stereo Hub, is Roon, the red line drawn indicates that the stream has reached the device and directly underneath it displays the protocol used which in this case is “Roon Advanced Audio Transport” aka RAAT.

After that line, is all the processing that the Plantin Hub and Buchardt A500 are doing to the audio. Since, RAAT can send the information back to Roon, Roon can display what is going on IN that/those device(s). Not so with other protocols, but, that doesn’t mean those processing steps are not happening.

Roon RAAT is very transparent when it comes to what is happening on the device, which is usually a black box scenario (i.e. you have no idea otherwise what the device is really doing). This isn’t the time that becoming Roon Ready Certified has surprised owners with the processing steps the device is doing that RAAT has revealed (See Hegel).

However, it does look weird, the EQ and Room Correction steps, looked doubled between the Platin and the Buchardt. Correcting that, assuming that it is wrong, however, is a Platin side fix, since they are sending the information back to Roon. Roon is just displaying what it is told.

Room Correction DSP, like Dirac for example, is going to resample, 24/48 and in some cases 24/96, to do the processing.

What is your goal? Does the current setup sound bad? If not, then enjoy! and have a nice summer beverage. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, the system did not sound great out of the box when I bought them last summer. Probably a mistake but I persevered because the Platin/Buchardt combo offers a lot of fine tuning and DSP options to correct for a listening room that is going to be a challenge whatever I used. The basic problem is the low ceilings of a period cottage creating some kind of standing wave with the Buchardt A500 rear firing bass driver.

We have just returned to the summerhouse where this system is located after a nine-month absence and this coincided with the Platin finally going roon certified. With a roon certified Platin I don’t seem to be able to get a sound I am happy with. A very different experience to last year so something has changed. I have absolutely no idea why the signal path is reporting doubled up steps between the Platin and the Buchardt. But surely this was noticed during the certification process? It is a revelation to me that everything post-RAAT is the endpoint so thanks to those posters who have not assumed that in some sense I “should” know that. As a bare minimum I would also expect 44.1 / 48 multiples to be preserved in the signal path. Or at least the possibility offered in the RAAT → Platin → Buchardt integration.

To add some context. I normally have no interest in SQ or typical audiophile concerns. I do the vast majority of my listening near-field out of my battered old lap-top speakers but that is generally not possible at this location. I really don’t like headphones. So it’s a very low bar for this RAAT → Platin → Buchardt combo.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.