Playback Issues with 176kHz DoP Files on Lumin D2

Hello Dylan

Thank you, for your contact.
A few days ago I launched a 14-day triall application. For now on my laptop - Windows 10 professional, i-5 processor, SSD.
Ultimately, I want to install the application on the NAS.

I have a Lumin D2 file player. However, I have one problem with the functionality of the software. I can’t play 24 / 176.4 kHz files in Roon. Roon downloaded them to the library, but audio analysis shows that they have not been well analyzed (dynamic range 1). Playback does not work either directly on the computer or through the Lumin player.

However, when I play these files from the NAS without Roon, directly through Lumin D2, the files work correctly.
Can you help me?

Regards
Adam

Hi @Adam_Piekarski,

Do you mind if I shift your post into a public thread so that others who may be experiencing this issue can follow along with troubleshooting?

Do you see any error messages when you try to play these kinds of files in Roon? What exactly do you see when you try to play the file, does the Roon playback bar just move back and forth and it changes to another track?

Hello

You can change my thread to public, please.

The problem is from the very beginning. When downloading songs to libraries, and Roon performing audio analysis, but when finished shows dynamic range “1”. The songs are played as long as they last, but with virtually no sound, and with increased noise. The play bar just moves forward. When the song ends, it starts playing the next song. There are no error messages. It doesn’t matter where the files are - whether on the NAS, external disk or internal disk - the effect is the same. I tried, on an example album, to re-analyze the audio - no effect (dynamic range “1” again). In the history of submissions, a year ago, I found that someone reported a similar problem to mine - also with 176.4 kHz files. However, the thread has not been completed.

Regards
Adam

Hi @Adam_Piekarski

Could you please upload the problematic files to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and private message me a link to them?

Also, do other 176kHz/24bit files continue to work as expected except these current one that are identified with a dynamic range of 1?

Hello
All files recognized by Roon as 24 / 176.4 kHz have a dynamic range of “1” and do not work. Roon does not play any 24 / 176.4 files correctly. Maybe Roon recognized them badly when adding them to the library? In Windows Explorer, these files appear as flac 24 / 176.4 kHz. So that would be correct. I don’t understand, however, why my Lumin D2, without Roon’s mediation, plays them correctly, but the display shows them as DSD, 1 bit, 2.8 MHz? I intend to purchase a Roon license and I want the files to be played correctly. In addition, everything works very well. 24 / 352.8 kHz and dsf files are played correctly.

I don’t use Dropbox, but I’ll try to send you sample files tomorrow.

Regards
Adam

1 Like

Your problem is related to playback of DSD music encapsulated in a 24/176 PCM file, i.e. DoP file. Lumin app with Lumin hardware support DoP file, but Roon does not. Roon supports DoP only as an output format, but not DoP file. You can request Roon for this feature again, but it was declined before.

For Roon to play it back, you will have to manually convert the DoP file to DSF using VinylStudio software:

VinylStudio can convert DoP file to DSF. Import the DoP files, make sure that they’re detected as DSD. In the tab for Save Tracks, click More (do not click the Save Tracks button ), choose Convert Recording Format and DSF. After the conversion is done, close VinylStudio and launch Mp3Tag to copy the tags from the DoP files to the newly generated DSF files.

If you cannot do the DoP to DSF conversion, then you will need to use Lumin app instead of Roon for playback of this particular DoP file.

Hello
I understand, but I have mixed feelings. From this it follows that I have a lot of flac 24/176 albums as DoP files. I buy a roon and especially a new QNAP NAS, because I care about quality and, above all, comfort, and here is such an unexpected problem. My goal is to listen to music through one interface. I really like your software.
Think about it, please do this functionality, because a lot of people have files like me.

Regards
Adam

If you want to request Roon support such a format/playback then you should create a thread under the Feature Requests section.

I"m not sure how many people have DoP flac files as that was a relic/hack from early days of DSD streaming. I suspect that like, ISO files, the best answer is to convert them to DSF as @wklie suggested.

Peter do you have any idea of the % of the Lumin user base that utilizes this format? (asking for curiosity)

1 Like

Since Lumin was the first network streamer to support DSD in late 2012, I think we may have more users having DoP files than other brands, as reflected in having this issue reported from Lumin users here more than users of other brands. I have no idea of percentage figure though.

1 Like

Have you tried to use Roon’s DSP upsampling custom option to upsample all the failing formats to a normal like 24/192 stream? This might help in the interim while a fix is researched

1 Like

Hi @Adam_Piekarski,

DoP files are not a supported format that Roon can read at the present time. For the current list of supported file formats, please refer to our FAQ Knowledge Base Article.

Since this appears to be "working as designed" I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the Feature Request section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Since Roon cannot recognize the DSD data inside the DoP file, I guess that’s not likely to work, but I have not actually tested it.

It’s a long shot…

Thank you for all the advice. According to the suggestions, I will try to convert DoP files to DSF, maybe it will work. On the other hand, I will ask you to increase the functionality to the Function Request section.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.