Playback keeps stopping on ROCK Core

Hi @James_Kutter,

Thank you for giving the new router a try. I am looking through the diagnostics report from your ROCK Core and I do see a few interesting aspects I want to mention:

• It looks like you have started with a fresh database, which is a good step to try but I see that there are still ongoing issues with even the fresh database in place.

• It appears that the buffers for playback were not being filled up. I can’t say for sure if this is due to the network or a hardware aspect, but it looks like ROCK was stuck on buffering the track Temptation - Holly Cole and Your Heart Is as Black as Night - Melody Gardot most recently in your logs.

• I’m seeing some traces related to hard drive access contained in the logs. I know you previously disconnected your storage drive and left just the OS connected and the issue remained the same. Can you let me know the model/manufacturer of the system drive and storage drive contained in your ROCK unit? Have you tried a different SSD/HDD to host the Roon database yet?

• To rule out the network further, I would be curious to know if your MacBook is stable on the same network when using it as a Core. If you wish to take a look at this aspect, I would suggest making a Backup of your current Roon Database and then on the MacBook, go to Settings -> General and press Disconnect.
    When Roon asks you to select the Core, you can go ahead and press Use this PC. If Roon is stable on your MacBook, this would provide another useful data point of which direction we should look further in.

Noris,

Yes, I did try starting with a clean database to see if that was the issue. I did a clean OS install, then started with the new database. As you mention, I am still experiencing the same issue with the new database.

Also, I did use my MacBook as the Roon Core for approximately a week prior to purchasing the NUC. I had it connected to my network wirelessly, and it worked flawlessly. The issue started as soon as I moved to the Intel NUC. To confirm, I will try moving back to the MacBook again to see whether it will continue to run without issue.

I am using the following for the ROCK OS and storage:

ROCK OS is installed on a Transcend 256GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS256GMTE110S

The internal storage drive that I installed is: kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37/240G.

As you mention, I tried removing the Kingston drive and it did not fix the issue. However, I have not tried a different drive for the Roon OS. Should I try installing the OS on the Kingston for troubleshooting purposes, or would I need to purchase a new M.2 or return/swap the old one?

As one additional troubleshoot, I tried downgrading the BIOS. I upgraded it to the most recent BIOS when I initially installed the ROCK OS, but it was a very recent revision (mid September), and I thought it was recent enough that it could be causing problems. However, that did not make any difference either.

Thank you for your continued help with this.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Noris,

The issue appears to relate to the M.2 drive. I removed the M.2 drive and installed the OS on the NUC’s sata drive, and everything is working perfectly.

I am ordering a replacement M.2 drive and will see if the OS will run off that drive without issue.

Thanks,
Jimmy

1 Like

Hi @James_Kutter,

Thanks for taking a closer look at the M.2. drive, it does appear to be consistent with the errors presented in diagnostics. Do let me know how things are going once the M.2 drive is replaced, thanks!

Noris,

Everything is working great with the replacement M.2 drive. Many thanks for all of your help identifying and resolving the issue. I am tremendously pleased with the Roon software, and I am equally impressed with the support that you and the Room team provide.

Dylan and Charles, thank you for your help as well!

Thanks,
Jimmy

1 Like

Hi @James_Kutter,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved since replacing the M.2 drive! I wish you a continued enjoyable Roon experience and if you experience any other issues, don’t hesitate to reach out!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.