Playback of Atmos

This is exactly what is happening for me. I haven’t used Roon in a month. Too much Atmos (and now 5.1 Dolby Audio) to enjoy lately in Tidal and Apple… Beatles, Pearl Jam, Billie Eilish, Blue Oyster Cult, John Lennon, George Harrison, St. Vincent, I think some Pink Floyd as of yesterday, and many more.

It would be nice to hear from Roon if this is even being considered.

5 Likes

Interesting article here about Dweezil Zappa and recording and remastering in Atmos. He sees a huge advantage in it creatively and commercially.

2 Likes

Maybe this request could be tuned to say “Playback of Tidal and Local Atmos, and Qobuz if they offer it” to be clear that this request is NOT talking about Apple Music which is a no-go.

1 Like

I think they meant 7.1.4 - I was like, “what is 7.14, i gotta check that out!!”

1 Like

Atmos please!

3 Likes

Practically everything new is being mixed in Atmos. Has there been any word from Roon team about this?

1 Like

I think “practically everything” is overstating things…

Let me put it to you this way:

The professional mix engineers I know tell me that nearly every job now includes a request for an Atmos mix. It’s a big thing with a very strong push by the labels. Do with that information what you will.

2 Likes

So if there are 1,000 albums released per week (a huge underestimation I am sure) around the world about 900 are being mixed in Atmos ? I find that very hard to believe…

oooh, let’s argue about this for a couple days, huh? fun.

jeez…

not EVERY point made needs to be refuted. sometimes the more salient issue is the overall point, not the picayune details…

1 Like

Ok all good buddy, carry on…

Are we ever going to get Atmos playback?

1 Like

I currently listen to Dolby Atmos music and movie soundtracks from the Apple Music app on my iPhone and iPad, and Apple TV 4K, via AirPods Max. Some might think it can’t work well with headphones but I find that it does. I was surprised how good some Blue Note jazz albums sound in Atmos. Much better than the standard 2ch version. I hope Roon brings it on.

1 Like

Same here! Listening mostly to Atmos mixes on Apple Music these days. And especially so now that my Roon Core database died after updating to 1.8 build 880.

To be honest, Dolby Atmos and 360 Reality Audio sound quite unnatural and manipulated compared to the original for most available albums.

3 Likes

Completely agree, many (most?) Atmos mixes are pure crap, but regardless, we do want Atmos support in Roon, right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

We want Atmos because why not? Roon supports the most obscure file formats, give us Atmos.

Even Qobuz is now talking about surround sound:

Interesting hearing about how they use it in classical music to capture the properties of the room via analogue rather than using simulation effects.

1 Like

I could not disagree more.

What Atmos music are you listening to? On what type of speaker setup? What is your music source?

1 Like

Trinnov Altitude32 with B&W 802 D3 fronts, B&W HTM1 D3 center, B&W 803 D2 surrounds, B&W 805 D2 wides, B&W SCMS surround rears and 9xPiega AP 1.2 in ceiling. Helped with 2 x B&W DB1 subs in the rear and 2 x Paradigm Persona Subs in the front. Amplifiers Trinnov Amplitude8 for floor channels (+ one ceiling speaker), Trinnov Amplitude8M for ceiling speakers and Bryston 4B SST2 for wides.

Nothing wrong with the setup; it is one of the best Atmos/DTS:X setups in northern Europe. And good Atmos mixes are REALLY great, but many are synthetically created Atmos based on 2 channel recordings - which can never be great.

As @Tor_Gunnar_Berland forgot to add the rather amazing pictures

1 Like