Product IDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎27/‎04/‎2021
OS build 19043.1052
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

This machine running Roon Core using default settings. External service is Tidal.
Library backups are 3 in total = all scheduled to run at small hours (1, 2 and 3 am).

No audio output from this machine. Audio outputs via endpoints via LAN.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ISP > Fibre > Router/modem > Ethernet > Machine running Roon Core
Same router (also via Ethernet) direct to endpoint (see connected audio devices below).

Connected Audio Devices

Custom PC as follows:

Device name htpc20
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1900 @ 1.99GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
Device ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Product ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎10/‎07/‎2021
OS build 19043.1466
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

This machine simply runs RAAT in headless mode. All unnecessary services stopped. Minimal configuration etc. Audio output is via USB to DAC.

Number of Tracks in Library

Total 5,370 albums of which 3,752 are ‘local’ albums.

Description of Issue

This configuration has been running for years generally without major issue. Since about a few weeks ago I’m getting random playback stops. I can immediately pick up by simply pressing ‘play’ but clearly that is not optimal. These random stops (sometime 1 per hour, sometimes more frequent, sometime after a few hours) occur regardless of what content is playing i.e. it makes no difference if Tidal albums, local albums or Live Radio etc.

I’ve not done any changes to my system other than normal automatic updates (windows, Roon etc).

Please advise how I can trouble shoot this. I’ve had a look at the log when a stop occurs but can’t see anything obviously there.

cheers
Edward

Hi @Edward_L,

Thank you for getting in touch. I notice that the machine that is exhibiting this behavior doesn’t meet our minimum requirements. It uses a Celeron processor, we recommend an Intel i3 as a minimum. You can find more information on recommended specifications here.

However, in checking your system diagnostics I also noticed that that machine is running an older build of Roon. So let’s try updating to the latest Roon build first. I think that would help. You can go to Settings>About>Remote and update from there. If you have any trouble you can also grab the latest version directly from our Download page.

Try updating and let us know if that helps. Thanks!

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your message.

I think there is some confusion, as I did not specify correctly the machines I use. As per screenshot below there are three machines:

Remote: This is an i5 running windows 11.
Core: This is a intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1226 v3 @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
Bridge: This is a Celeron. However this machine does nothing other than run RAAT - all services other than essential services are disabled.

Please advise next steps to determine what is causing the issue.

regards
Edward

Hey @Edward_L,

My apologies for the delayed response here. Thank you for getting back to me with this clarification, this was very helpful.

I have a few questions:

Are you still getting stoppages on our latest update, Build 923?
Is the endpoint that’s exhibiting this behavior wired to ethernet? (I’m thinking it is from what you’ve posted but want to confirm)
Are you getting any error messages when playback stops?

I’ll be watching for your reply and get back to you as quickly as I can.

Are you still getting stoppages on our latest update, Build 923?
[edward] Yes. But sporadic. At times no stoppages for ‘hours’ other times could be after 30 mins or so. Both Remote and Core running Build 923. EndPoint is only running RoonBridge. I can’t seem to get to an ‘about’ section for RoonBridge so can’t determine what build it is.

Is the endpoint that’s exhibiting this behavior wired to ethernet? (I’m thinking it is from what you’ve posted but want to confirm).
[edward] No wifi on endpoint, wired to LAN via ethernet. Rock solid connection. The endpoint is a Windows 10 machine with all non essential apps/services disabled/removed. The machine does nothing other than RAAT/RoonBridge.

Are you getting any error messages when playback stops?
[edward] No error messages. Everything appears normal. Connection with Core remains solid. I simply have to press ‘play’ for music to resume.

Is there way I can read the logfiles when a stoppage occurs? What specifically can I look out for? Or can you read the log file if I give you a rough time/date?

regards
Edward

Hi @Edward_L

If you can note your local time and what was playing next time it happens that would definitely help us find the event in your logs. :+1:t2:

Sure will do. I’ve been playing a lot of vinyl these days so may be a few days before you hear from me.

Do I need to upload a logfile or can you see the relevant data from your server?

cheers
Edward

Hi Jamie

The results are in …

Pasted below are the times of Roon stoppages (my local time - UK). I’ve also, as you will see, reinstalled Roonbridge as well as removed an app that possibly may have been an issue (not so as it happens). The changes were done on the RAAT endpoint. I’ve not done any changes on the machine running Core.

Please could you let me what you see in the logs. I’m hoping it will be something obvious we can work around.

regards
Edward

10:23 am April 2nd, 22

4:33 pm april 2nd '22

19:08 pm April 2nd. '22

uninstalled and then reinstalled roonbridge. 19:15 April 2nd '22 rebooted before reinstall.

20:43 April 3rd (this after reinstall of roonbridge).

20:45 april 3rd uninstalled Macruim Reflect.

10:04am April 4th

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.