Playback Stops Intermittently on MacBook Air M2 Ethernet Connected Setup (ref#UTGO26)

Before reading: I restarted my MacBook and it’s working fine now for already 3 hours!

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Music stops playing mid-track

Describe the issue

Playback stops after some time (a few minutes too half an hour). All radio stations (Radio Paradise FLAC too), play a while. Then the stream stops and I can start the stream a minute later again. And so on, and so on…

Same with Qobuz. When the stream stops I see “Nothing playing” and the start button is greyed.1 min later, it turns black again and I can start the stream again.

I’m using an Ethernet cable to my server, so not a WiFi issue. I called my internet provider and he confirms my connection is fast (100 Mb) and stable.

I’ve been watching CPU load on my MacBook Air. It is about 10% in total (6% system + 4%user). When the stream stops, it jumped to 45% and the start button turns grey. Then CPU drops to 25% for a while and when it drops to about 10% the start button turns black and I can restart the playback.

The “Roon appliance” thread takes about 6 to 12% of CPU during normal playback. Sometimes it jumps to 30%, but when the stream stops it’s 105% !!! Only when this drops to 40% I can start the playback again.

MacBook Air M2, 16 GB ram, Ethernet

Describe your network setup

Apple Time Capsule, ethernet to MacBook Air connected directly to the Time Capsule (no switch involved), no WiFi on my MacBook. Ethernet to USB via a Caldigit USB dock.

1 Like

Playing 2 days from morning to evening. No issues anymore!

1 Like

Hi @Serge_Nelissen ,

Thanks for letting us know that the reboot helped solve the issue! Please note that Apple networking gear can sometimes cause network instability, you may want to upgrade the gear if you continue to experience further issues. Also, you can try to change your DNS servers to Google/Cloudflare, this can sometimes help with stability. In any case, I’ll mark this one as solved, but if the issue returns and you’ve checked the above, let us know and we can take another look into this, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.