Playback stops randomly. Possibly related to a remote connecting

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 on NUC12WSKi5, i5-1240P, 64GB ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti UDM SE, various Unifi switches/APs. Roon endpoints are hardwired.

Connected Audio Devices

Numerous devices connected. Dacs connected by Raspberry pis with Roon bridge and several Sonos speakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

54k tracks

Description of Issue

Intermittent issue with playback suddenly stopping and endpoints seemingly disappearing for a few seconds. I’ve never seemed to have this issue until the last month or so. In looking at the logs, it seems like it might happen shortly after after a remote reconnects to the core.

Looking at the logs for 08/12 @ 10:03 will show an example. Music was playing in the “Living Room” and I opened the Roon app on my Mac. Shortly after the app loaded playback stopped and endpoints were cycled. This does not always happen when closing/reopening the app. I used to always leave this app open on my Mac and never had an issue, but it seems lately I might experience playback interruption on different endpoints. Not sure if it has any correlation when my Mac sleeps or wakes then reestablishes a connection.

I closed the app on my Mac for a few days and seemed to not have any issues with playback stopping. I did not test throughly however.

1 Like

Are all your Roon endpoints on the same vlan/subnet as your core? This is a requirement for Roon to work.

Depending on your network setup, devices in different vlans/subnets can sometimes be visible and then disappear. In my case, my remotes running on iOS are in a different vlan. This is working fine as a remote, but more often than not, the iOS device is not seen as a Roon zone.

Yup, all on same vlan/subnet. As I mentioned all worked perfectly fine before. Not sure what’s changed. It really seems like a remote (perhaps, the macOS app specifically) that causes the core to refresh endpoints when it connects/disconnects. If I don’t leave this app open on my Mac, it doesn’t seem to happen anymore. I will note that I usually have this open all the time. I haven’t really notice any problems when using just the iOS apps.

Let’s hope that the update helps.

One thing I am wondering: you mentioned that you are using the Mac as a remote only. Does this mean that none of the Mac audio outputs are enabled under Settings > Audio?

For testing purposes I enabled one of the outputs on my Mac. I then grouped it with another RAAT endpoint, the other endpoint being the “master”. When I close the Roon app on Mac, the audio on the other endpoint kept playing. But when I launched the app on Mac playback stopped. Which seems to be similar behaviour to what you are reporting.

Thanks for testing some scenarios, appreciate it. I have no enabled audio devices on either my Mac, or connected directly to the core. Whenever I’ve experienced this it’s been a single active RAAT endpoint. I don’t usually group my RAAT zones, just Sonos.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: I have the same problem / I have the same issue

What remote are you using to control roon?
when the music stops, did you notice endpoints disappear and reappear after a few seconds?

@Nicholas_Thio for what it’s worth, I’m using a Mac as a remote-only on a UniFi network. I’m not experiencing any issues. Although my remote is open from time to time, there are occasions when I do close and reopen it while playing music. I’ve never experienced any issue in doing so.
Note that there have been reports of Mac users with issues but this when running the core on Mac.
If you feel that Mac app is to blame, you could alway try reinstalling it to see if that fixes anything. Considering that is functioning only as a remote, this should not have any impact.

Do you experience the issue when playing local tracks or when streaming from Qobuz, Tidal or KKBOX or in all situations?

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve been using Roon for many years and this issue had not presented itself it the past. Not sure what might have changed. I’m fairly certain it’s related to the Roon app on my Mac. The app was closed last night and I played music for hours with no issue. Earlier in the day music did stop unexpectedly and sure enough the Mac app was open. It issue does not discriminate between local or streamed media. I may try leaving the app open and preventing the Mac from sleeping to see if it could be related to the app reestablishing connection as it goes in and out of sleep.

Another observation is that I think it may only occur with RAAT endpoints. If I recall correctly, Sonos endpoints did not disappear when the issue happens.

I see that Roon rolled out some updates this morning so I’ve installed those and am hoping the issue works itself out.

Well, happened again today with the latest server app installed on windows and latest Roon app on MacOS. The remote connected again on 08/14 21:35:33, presumable my mac woke itself up. When doing so my playback to the “Living Room” stopped.

I can see that from the logs once the Roon app on the Mac connects all clients that are RoonReady or using Roon Bridge are disconnected or “lost connection” then reinitialized.

@ Support, Please let me know if you need me to sent them.

Just wondering if you have any extensions that somehow get triggered when the Mac awakens and could be interfering with Roon?

Just asking because I recently has an issue where the volume on my RAAT endpoint would be cranked up. Turned out is was being cause by an extension.

Support will eventually get to your ticket but it’s typically taking a week or longer.

I do run several extensions… extension manager, deep harmony, web controller, home assistant in a VM on the same windows machine as the core. Then I have a couple raspberry pis that run some of the rooextend extensions.

I haven’t had any issue will these and they’ve been rock solid. I don’t think any have been updated in a while, so not sure what would have changed in the last month. I’m also not sure if there is any interaction when the Mac roon app connects… can’t tell from the logs, but it could be something worth looking into. Interested to see what support‘s interpretation of the logs will be…

Ok, some new info…. I may not be related specifically to the macOS app. The macOS roon app was not open while I was listening to music in the “Living Room” zone this evening and playback stopped still again. It happened shortly after I initiated an update to RoPieee on a raspberry pi used for a completely different endpoint, “Master Bedroom” which was not active.

Happened again in a different playback scenario. Using the Roon iOS app on my phone and playbacking music through headphones on the same phone. Playback stopped. Looking at the logs

08/16 13:24:31 Info: [remoting/serverconnectionv2] Client disconnected: 10.0.0.24:54683
08/16 13:24:31 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Nicholass-iPhone-12-Pro @ 10.0.0.24:9200] lost client connection. Retrying
08/16 13:24:31 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Nicholass-iPhone-12-Pro @ 10.0.0.24:9200] connecting (attempt 1)

a couple seconds later, all raat endpoints loose connection as well. Same as what I have been seeing.
Again, it doesn’t seem to affect Sonos streaming. I usually listen through Sonos during the mornings and have not had the issue arise as of yet.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: I have the same problem / I have the same issue

Just checking in again… hoping to get a response from Roon.

Playback is mostly stable if I keep the Roon app on MacOS closed when I’m not at my desk, but I did still experienced the same issue precipitated by other events as noted in my previous posts. Would appreciate someone looking into as I never had this problem before. I’ve saved a few logs as examples…

Hey @Nicholas_Thio,

Ben with support here - thanks for writing in and apologies for the delay!

Can you confirm how your core device is connected to your router? Please test out hardwiring it via ethernet directly to your router, bypassing any switches or network gear. Let me know if the issue persists after this!

If this issue does persist, please take note of the date and time, as well as track playing, and share that information here.

Do you have any third party security or firewall’s active within your core or router? Can you confirm Roon is set as an exception?

Thanks!

There is one switch between the core and router. The machine has never lost network connectivity, in fact network uptime to that machine is going on 18 days currently.

No firewall active on the windows machine that has the core. There is a firewall on my router, but other than needing to forward a port for ARC, no other services have had an issue.

I have saved some logs previously and noted the time. I can share those, but perhaps you have enabled some additional diagnostics that you can look at on your end. Let me know if you want the logs I saved.
I will try to reproduce and report back with the time.

Hi @Benjamin - playback stopped unexpectedly. Please see the logs starting around here:

08/22 18:11:09 Trace: [remoting/brokerserver] [initconn 10.0.0.21:49441=>10.0.0.20:9332] Resumed Session

I was listening to music in the “Living Room” and the music stopped on 8/22 @ 6:11pm PST.
It looks like my Mac mini woke itself and the Roon app reestablished connection with the core and subsequently the music stopped and RAAT endpoints disappear momentarily.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I’ve started closing the MacOS app when I’m not working in the office and this issue doesn’t seem to happen mostly. I’ve gone several days without an issue when ensuring that app is closed. Today, for testing I left it open and sure enough it happened. I took note the see that the Mac was sleeping before I started playing music. Once the music stopped, I checked the Mac and it was awake.

1 Like

@Benjamin - please also see again starting at:

08/22 21:45:16 Trace: [remoting/brokerserver] [initconn 10.0.0.21:55520=>10.0.0.20:9332] Connected

One thing I did take note of in the logs is it is also identifying my Macmini @ 10.0.0.21 as a “RaatServer” when in fact it is only acting as a remote to connect to my core at 10.0.0.20. Is this normal behavior? and could this be causing a conflict with my actual core and trying to take over endpoints causing them to disappear and reconnect?