Playing Roon through a Bluetooth Connected Device?

Roon Core Machine

My core machine is a Late 2014 Mac Mini. I think it has 32 RAM.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router is EEVO wifi.

Connected Audio Devices

A 2020 Mac Mini, connected to wifi.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve got a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin connected by Bluetooth to my 2020 Mac Mini. I can get Roon to play out of the Mini’s internal speakers or the Dell Soundbar attached to the Mini by USB. But I can’t seem to get Roon to play through the Bluetooth connection to the Zeppelin. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Do you see the B&W in settings:audio at all?

But the computer is connected to it, and it’s set as the audio out device.
(Although I guess Roon doesn’t follow the computer’s audio out device.)
But the BT device doesn’t show in Setttings/audio.

Correct.
My Bluetooth speaker shows up seperate as its own audio endpoint under settings:audio… however…
It sometimes doesn’t…

And then I have to have settings:audio page actually open and power off and on the Bluetooth speaker again and Roon will then see it.

Right now though it’s probably being “grabbed” by your PC audio so also try setting your PC audio to not be that Bluetooth device.

Is your Bluetooth connected to your Roon Core? Mine is not connected to the Core. My 2020 Mini connects to the Core through wifi. The Bluetooth device is connected to the 2020 Mini. I’ve got the PC audio set to the soundbar.

I guess I should add that he Zeppelin is connected with a logitech Bluetooth adapter. The Logitech is connected to the 2020 Mini, and plugged into the RCA jacks on the Zeppelin.

Yes when being used, my Bluetooth JBL is connected directly to a Dell laptop that hosts Roon Core.

It’s possible that Logitech adapter is confusing the issue?

A couple of ideas. You should be able to play the Zeppelin via AirPlay for another option, which may have better sound quality compared to Bluetooth.

When using Blietooth, what I have found is that the Bluetooth speaker needs to be connected to, and as, the system output of either the Mac or PC I am using, then in Roon slect “System Output” on the device connected to the Bluetooth speaker (in this case, the Mac mini and Zeppelin).

1 Like

Hey @David_Stone,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for taking the time to write in! Both @Robert_F and @AceRimmer are steering you in the right direction with their thoughts.

Are you still having issues getting audio out of your Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin? If so, connecting via airplay would be the best option, but connecting it via Bluetooth to either Mac and setting Roon to play through the system output should do the trick as well (as @Robert_F mentioned) :+1:

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.