Playlist Feature Requests (post 1.8)

IMO a core flaw in how playlists are currently implemented is that a track added to a playlist from a Tidal/Qobuz album (say while listening to Roon Radio) is treated separately from the same track in a local album.

This means that if you ever move away from Tidal/Qobuz those tracks become ‘orphaned’ in your playlists, even if you have a local copy of them. It also means the Tidal/Qobuz tracks are omitted on export, again even if you have a local copy of those tracks.

This either need to be addressed at a fundamental level in Roon (the same issue also affects ‘hearts’).

Or at the very least, there needs to be a way to go though a playlist and replace the Tidal/Qobuz tracks with a local copy of any tracks if they exist.

On top of the above problem, I also end up with duplicates (x2) of each of my playlists — one being my original local Roon copy (with local tracks) and other being the version I have exported and imported back in Qobuz via Soundiz which then appears in Roon as a duplicate. That all feels a bit messy and manual for a modern music management platform.

I just want to have the one playlist that I can add tracks to, from either a local or Qobuz album, which I can then sync back to Qobuz for non-Roon listening (where matched tracks can be found) or easily share with friends on other platforms (again where matched tracks can be found).

Currently playlists in Roon feel like a bit too much of a walled garden if I am honest.

6 Likes