Playlist Feature Requests (post 1.8)

Hi everybody!!!

First of all, thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge. It’s a great community! :slight_smile:

I’m new to roon but I’m quite disappointed as I’ve not been able to find how to create a playlist selecting a folder path from my hard disk. With Musicbee software, I had the chance to create what they call “automatic playlists” and, for instance, select a folder of my library and “automatically create a playlist” with the songs in that folder. Furthermore, this folder was always being “monitored” in order to automatically update the playlist with any file I drop in it.

I know I can do some “tricks” as create m3u files, import it to roon, filter by path and so on…but no automatic options doing that.

I really miss these kind of options in Roon and, honestly, I think that musicbee is more powerful and flexible talking about library management (of course Roon is a lot of more, but I’d love Roon to be the “definitive killer app”…)

I hope this can improve soon.

Thanks for reading and have a nice time enjoying music!

1 Like

Roon has not put a lot of love into Playlists, this thread is one of many for proof.

But significantly lower on their priority list is ever manipulating Folders. Physical folders does not fit into their world view of music players, so that is not going to happen.

1 Like

Adding this here as it feels like it relates to a (fairly basic) playlist enhancement

2 Likes

Wanted to reinvigorate part of the request above.

Show Playlist Links option should show links, even if the album is NOT in the library.

Use Case:

• making a holiday playlist and I want to add songs to a playlist without adding the holiday albums to my library.
  • was editing list from last year and coincidentally went back to same album and added some same songs. But I did not see Playlist Links because I intentionally had not added the albums to my library and still have not.

1 Like

Hopefully Roon Labs will give playlists some TLC.
There are tons of suggestions to make this bare function better!

5 Likes

Agree. To build useful playlists of classical music you pretty much must have multi-select so you can select multiple tracks (for example movements in a symphony or string quartet) and move them as a block keep the tracks together and in sequence. Once you have multi-select then the usual manipulations should be supported including cut, paste, and drag and drop move.

3 Likes

I would like to be able to add tracks to my Qobuz favourites. At the moment, when I click on the 3 dots to the right of a track, and choose ‘Add to playlist’, it doesn’t bring up my Qobuz playlists.

2 Likes

Your suggestion added to this thread so maybe your voice will be heard here better.
Now you can cast a vote as well at the top.

Thanks. Will do.

Also, when I’m looking for an album on Qobuz (in Roon), I get only the tracks in my library from that album. How do I easily find the full album?

IMO a core flaw in how playlists are currently implemented is that a track added to a playlist from a Tidal/Qobuz album (say while listening to Roon Radio) is treated separately from the same track in a local album.

This means that if you ever move away from Tidal/Qobuz those tracks become ‘orphaned’ in your playlists, even if you have a local copy of them. It also means the Tidal/Qobuz tracks are omitted on export, again even if you have a local copy of those tracks.

This either need to be addressed at a fundamental level in Roon (the same issue also affects ‘hearts’).

Or at the very least, there needs to be a way to go though a playlist and replace the Tidal/Qobuz tracks with a local copy of any tracks if they exist.

On top of the above problem, I also end up with duplicates (x2) of each of my playlists — one being my original local Roon copy (with local tracks) and other being the version I have exported and imported back in Qobuz via Soundiz which then appears in Roon as a duplicate. That all feels a bit messy and manual for a modern music management platform.

I just want to have the one playlist that I can add tracks to, from either a local or Qobuz album, which I can then sync back to Qobuz for non-Roon listening (where matched tracks can be found) or easily share with friends on other platforms (again where matched tracks can be found).

Currently playlists in Roon feel like a bit too much of a walled garden if I am honest.

6 Likes

This is spot on, good synopsis of the state of affairs with playlists.

On windows 10, I still use good old Window Media Player to create
playlists as m3u files, using drag and drop, then import them.
Much easier and faster as vreating playlists with ROON

2 Likes

I don’t know why Roon don’t give any love to Playlists/Queue? It a core feature of a good music player, and these changes are small compared to ARC.
Absolutely flabbergasted about this, and I die a little inside multiple times a week when I workaround the most basic of basic queueing mechanism… (adding last album I want to listen as first, playing a part of the queue in a playlist to move it at the end, …)

If I did know this now, I went for another choice a few years back when I went for Roon. :anger:

2 Likes

Agree with most people in this thread.
I chose Roon for two reasons: SQ (sound quality) + Artistic data (easily browse artists and albums etc while listening).

I took it for granted that there would be a decent playlist editor (PE). Boy was I wrong!
If I did my best I don’t think I could create a worse PE: removing functionality and making things difficult or impossible.

On top of this Roon tease us all with topics like “we want your suggestions…”
NO YOU DON’T. If so, then why has nothing happened since 2016 = 8 years???

To me it has reached a point where I am going to have to let go of Roon.

Searching for alternatives I have found that
Audiosciencereview .com has a vibrant
logitech-media-server forum.
Newer versions of LMS also provide integration with online music services such as Qobuz and Spotify.
This is the route I will take when I get a little more time (hoping that Roon will improve PE in the meantime while not holding my breath)

5 Likes

Just ran into this today. We have a great playlist that we play often, but by now we know all the 311 songs :laughing: so it would be great to be able to have Roon Radio based on a playlist. :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Many users wish this :slight_smile:
But seems playlists still are not something Roon is interested in improving.

3 Likes

I tonally agree with this.

I really think the “Add to playlist” should include option/possibility to add to playlists of the “streaming source”

I think it would be really nice if the “Add to playlist” includes option/possibility to add to playlists of the “streaming source”

I can’t group playlists, cant give them artwork. Can’t even launch the radio function based off of what’s in a playlist. Are any of these things hard to implement? I swear these features would have been added by now. Has Roon shown any interest in developing the Playlist section at all?

2 Likes