Please add Year to track listings (for both albums and playlists)

Please make the Year tag visible for each individual track (or at least allow the option to include it).

It also should be available as a track focus function.

There are SO many albums of older material - as well as just about all greatest hits collections - where the date of the album is absolutely irrelevant. Case in point - Roon does NOTHING with this track metadata (all it cares about is the “release date” of 1994 for the movie), yet Synology DS Audio makes it available for all functions:

Since Roon can allow me to focus on track genres, why not years?

Anyway, I suppose that Tidal and Qobuz might not have all this correct, but don’t use them, and I only care about my local collection. All 40,000+ tracks in my collection have the correct years added to them, and I think Roon should allow me to use that data I painstakingly curated over the decades.

1 Like

Roon is album based. There is currently no support for track based genres or release dates (all the same for all tracks from a given album). The YEAR tag gets conflated with DATE (DATE wins if both are present) and mapped into Roon’s release date field. The release date column can be shown in track listings (track browser, playlists) already (I guess not on mobile UI though), use the cogwheel (rightmost entry in the header row) to configure the view.

Note: This is not to invalidate the feature suggestion, but merely to document the current state and correct possible misunderstandings about Roon’s current feature set.

Roon has many track-specific focus features, even though it is album-focused. I understand what you are saying, and want to point out this capability.

And beyond the current focus, it’s important to recognize the fact that album dates are in fact not as useful for any purpose as track dates. It’s the nature of the hobby and the format, so it would be good for Roon to reflect this.

1 Like

Why aren’t there more people who care about this? I am lucky that I use Synology DS Audio to get me this capability, which I can then import (via .m3u) into Roon. But it would be even nicer not to have to do this.

To repeat: Roon has many track-based features, despite people’s assertions that it is “Album-focused.” And there is real value in slicing/dicing one’s collection via track dates.

OP here. I do still care very much about this missing capability and also am surprised that more folks don’t seem to be interested. It is really the one thing that bugs me about Roon.

1 Like

Still missing this also.