Poll: What best explains your use (or lack thereof) for track-based years in your music collection?

In the “Feature Suggestions” area this morning, I was reflecting on Please add Year to track listings (for both albums and playlists), which made me curious: What best describes your feelings about Roon providing features that employ the “Year” field at a track level?

• A) I tag all of my tracks with accurate release dates, and want to be able to use that information to create year-based playlists of the tracks in my collection.
  • B) I don’t tag all of my tracks with accurate release dates, but if Roon had features available to take advantage of them, I would.
  • C) I make significant use of streaming services, and don’t have the ability to override their track-based year information to correct it and make it useful.
  • D) I don’t care about the track dates in compilations; year-based track listening isn’t for me.
  • E) I make a habit of only collecting albums that are not compilations, so this capability isn’t useful to me.
  • F) I never thought about any of this before.
0 voters

Voted D). I might use them occasionally but for me there are way bigger issues / missing features

My case is a bit different: I tag all of my tracks with accurate release dates, but I don’t care to search for that (and I almost never use playlists).

What’s a playlist? ( :wink: )

2 Likes

I love that my, most classical, collection includes recording dates and locations on a per track level basis, when available.

This is pretty interesting so far. Thanks to all who have been voting. It is illuminating!

I used to add track years to my metadata for the exact reason in A but stopped when I got Roon (2016) as Roon couldn’t/ didn’t use this data.

But yes I’d like Roon to be able to add all my compilation tracks to a “year” playlist.

.sjb

Life didn’t start with Roon and it won’t end with it. Technology works for us, not the other way around. Tag your tracks the way you see fit.

This is a sound philosophy. While Roon can’t currently use track year metadata, plenty of other software can, and you can make good use of it in the meantime.

Don’t use playlists much as I listen to albums not tracks and don’t care for sorting by dates other than date added last played. So D for me.

1 Like

This is very interesting so far…as of 40 votes, only 32% of people seem to care about track-date-based playback (i.e., answering A or B). That is surprisingly low, but the numbers don’t lie.

Don’t forget that 100% of people self-selected the poll…

As far as I am concerned, I wouldn’t be against it and I am sure there will be some compilation albums where it’s helpful. Arguably it’s a necessary feature for being “complete”. So, I wouldn’t say I don’t care. It’s just that I miss other things more.