Please, criticize my setup choice

So I’m not totally sure I understand that.

My philosophy would be: pick a pair of speakers whose sound you like, and then choose an amplifier that will drive them well. However much you may like a particular amplifier, its “sound” will be will be dominated by the speakers you connect it to.

In the case of active speakers (the LS50W, the D&D 8c, the Kii Three, …), the manufacturer has chosen the amplification they think will work best with their speaker. And they’ve implemented the DSP to optimize the behaviour of their drivers.

In other words, there’s little likelihood that you could get a better-sounding result out of the LS50 passive speaker and the dream amplifier of your choice than you get out-of-the-box with the LS50W.

(I say that, as an owner of the LS50 passives.)

That said, there are lots more choices of passive speakers and if you find a pair that you like better than the LS50s, then we can talk about pairing them with the Hegel.

4 Likes

In what system did you hear the Hegel? What music was playing?

Is this really the case?

When I used a Hugo (1st model) with a Rendu, I used an intermediate Gustard U12 USB to spdf convertor between the Rendu and Hugo because the Hugo is not galvanically isolated. I don’t believe the Hugo2 is either. I think you have to go to the Qutest or Hugo TT versions of the DAC in order to get galvanic isolation.

I don’t think the Hugo or 2 is galvaniclly isolated. But if you use the Rendu (very low noise) and a good linear supply you should get very good sound from it.

SPDIF is galvaniclly isolated but adds a lot of jitter so I don’t think the sound is as good.

1 Like

The audio jitter is not snake oil at all. It cleans up the signal quite a bit and improves your sound.

You would get even better sound using a Rendu that has a clean USB signal to begin with and does not need to be cleaned.

Thanks for the input!

Spent last night researching the difference between, 190, 390 and 590. Oh boy, I wish I never head Hegel before :grinning:

That’s exactly what I’ve stated here

Understood

The one I was referring to - the one of two I’ve heard - were KEF Blade. The others were JBL L100.

Hegel h190 + Kef blade.

Thank for the input!
I was researching Hugo 2 yesterday, and seems to be, that Hugo 2 + Go would be a perfect combo for me.

I’m sure that sounds great. If you’re looking at that kind of money for/calibre of speakers, H390 or H590 would be better suited. Also consider the Dynaudio Confidence range.

Yeah, it seems to be the choice will be between 390 and 590.

You’ve mentioned these before I guess, already noted. Thanks for the input!

I’m sure there’s a sweet spot somewhere between the LS50 and the Blade… the key may be making sure whatever you choose works in your room.

Agreed!
I’ve mentioned above that I’m completely not sure about new dimensions and future acoustics. The current acoustic is complete garbage. Two huge sound panels couldn’t help much (Old NYC Brownstone, hardwood floor with high ceilings, what you gonna do with that).

It’s amazing what Linn space optimization can do. Very expensive, though, except relative to the price of a house in the Bay Area :wink:

1 Like

That’s nice. Get first mortgage for a house, then another one for space modification :grinning:

Apparently, not a view held by the designer of the Hugo who admitted that the USB input of the Hugo1 was a weak point in the design.

You guys talk rocket science right now? :grinning:

Rocket science is not so difficult!

Actually, the only thing that really matters is how the respective USB and spdif connections sound to you if you end up with a Hugo.

agillis thinks that the USB input is better. I thought that the spdif input (from a microRendu/Gustard U12) was very slightly better - just our personal subjective preferences.

Actually, the Hugo1 is a very good DAC (I haven’t heard the Hugo2), and both USB and spdif inputs are pretty good.

Yet not that mentally affordable :grinning:

I do lean towards Chord’s DACs so it’s more than likely, yes.

Thank for the input! Good luck with that galvanic NASA program :smiley:

1 Like