Please save my weekend No endpoint can find Rock/Core on Nuc

With Etcher, sometimes building the flash goes bad even though it says confirmed. Might try building the bootable again. Just a thought.

2 Likes

After choosing the USB drive to boot you should be presented with Install or Recover options. It looks like it isnt booting properly from the USB drive.

Can you try flashing the image again? Maybe use a different USB drive if you have one available?

2 Likes

Redid etcher on a different USB stick, swapped the USB drive/keyboard on the front of the NUC. Same result above with single SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD line as above.

This is a bit different than what we have seen with the Roon OS issue that was linked to above. Some of the screens you’re seeing here look more like what we would see if there was some failing hardware rather than an OS issue. It might be a good idea to run some tests on the hardware involved.

You might also try installing Windows or a different version of Linux. Do you have any issues when doing that? Does everything appear to be working properly?

1 Like

I’d be happy to try and rule out a hardware problem, but I don’t off hand know where I’d easily get a version Windows/Linux to install. My windows laptop came preinstalled from Dell so no media on hand. Not like the old days with a pile of floppies/CDs/DVDs handy. I have an absolutely terrible cellular Internet connection in the country that is ungodly slow and a 10GB cap. It takes me about 1/2 an hour just to download the Roon/Rock install.

Open to any suggestions on how to verify hardware you come up with, but downloading Win10 or the like is probably a deal breaker. Nice day outside on the east coast, wife is not pleased with the time I’ve spent indoors so far today. Tour de France waiting to be watched as well as rum drinks to be consumed.

Anything lengthy I’ll have to try late this evening or tomorrow.

EDIT: I poked around in the BIOS a bit, nothing unusual there. It Sees Samsung SSD and USB as legacy boot options, usual other BIOS stuff from what I can tall, but I’m no expert on the NUC BIOS.

You can download a Windows installer from Microsoft, burn it onto a usb key and then install from that. It will let you install without activation for a quick test.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click download tool. Use the tool to create a bootable Windows Installation USB key. Need one at least 4 to 6 gb in size.

1 Like

Just to be sure when I “etch” the image to USB Stick is the file/directory supposed to be an empty folder named “identity” and a single file on the root named roon.tar.bz2???

I downloaded the Rock stuff from Roon site a 2nd time and just etched it to USB stick for the 3rd or 4th time.

i don’t remember what the files on the drive look like. What etcher does is create a bootable usb key using the files in the zip file you downloaded. tar is a linux zip like format.

I actually do not like using etcher. It sometimes does not work for me. I use Rufus. You might give it a shot, https://rufus.ie/

1 Like

Did you use etcher or just copy the downloaded file to USB stick. That file format looks like the downloaded file before etcher does it’s thing.

File downloaded is:
roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset (2).img.gz

the (2) is because I originally switched from Core on Windows to ROCK back in June and downloaded it once. Today I got the update/fixer and it was roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset (1).img.gz. I just downloaded it again as a hail marry, thus the 2 in the file name. Guess I should clean out my windows download directory from time to time.

Yes I use etcher to make that downloaded file go to what I was asking above (one empty directory and one roon.tar.bz2 file) on USB stick. Etcher shows progress of it running, verification, and unmounting. Pretty sure I am doing that right. Exactly as initial install.

So are we thinking that my NUC is not booting properly form HDD or USB because of a potential hardware problem with my NUC and this is not software related? The NUC is less than 3 months old has brand new Crucial RAM and brand new Samsung EVO M.2 drive. Typically electronics fail on day one or last for a long time. NUC has been in equipment rack with power conditioner and battery back up. Last time I rebooted it was Monday August 31st, that I do remember, and it worked fine for a few days on whatever version it had at the time. It was yesterday (Friday sep 4) that I could not connect with any devices/controls

Try using Rufus instead of Etcher.

I’ve found Etcher to be at times inexplicable flaky.

That looks about right.

So mystery solved. @Rugby suggested Windows download link a few posts up. I D/Led to USB and tried booting a few times and would get NUC/BIOS stuff then Windows logo then blue screen with sad face and a QR code. This seems consistent with a Roon/Linux file on USB not fully booting.

Next I took out one stick of RAM and same problem. Swapped the two RAM sticks and booted right up to Windows set up screen. Turned it off, rebooted without USB in and Roon came up fine. So looks like one of my two 4GB RAM sticks was bad. I’m down from 8GB to 4GB but up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I’ve ordered replacement RAM…for the last 20 minutes or so 4GB seems fine with one zone playing and no DSP. Will try a few other endpoints as time allows.

Hope this helps others that see odd screens when booting. For the record if you are not well versed in the proper screen for Roon if all goes well (I don’t recall ever having a monitor attached to NUC) you get a black screen with several lines of “Roon info stuff” and the last line tells you how to access the Roon OS Web UI directly and your IP address. From there you can see familiar Web UI at address or just fire up browser/device/control and enjoy Roon.

3 Likes

I’m glad you figured it out. I think you’re fine with 4GB of RAM.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.