Please suggestions to solve time lag on track and album changes

Hi @noris

I disconnected the hard drive and now “gaps” (progress bar swipes) are reduced to avg 1-2 (tops 3-4) with Tidal. But now and then when I play next song I get >20 gaps, then a message “this song is not currently available in Tidal” and then jumps to next song in the queue (ex: today @ 10:26CET, 12:37CET, 12:58CET).

Also pls note that my “only Tidal” library is 27K songs and my total library 150K songs. Also, Roon Radio is off.

It’s still puzzling for me that HDD behavior affects Tidal playback and not local library playback: I disconnect the HDD, Tidal plays as expected; I connect the HDD, local library plays perfectly but Tidal doesn’t.

On your suggestion pointing to the HDD, I read sometime ago that there was an issue with OS Monterrey that put HDD to stop spinning even when “putting the HD to sleep when possible” was off in preferences. The suggested workaround was to install an app called “Amphetamine” that allows you to keep the HDD spinning. I installed it but gaps continued.

My HDD is a thunderbolt G-Technology 10TB bought in the Apple shop, so supposedly “Mac specific”. My question here is whether this is a Mac OS issue or a HDD issue. If the latter, any suggestion for maker/model and connection?. If the former, I’m doomed?

Thanks for the support.

@noris

I’ve been experimenting with turning the Amphetamine app on and off and doesn’t seem to affect gap behavior at all

@noris

I continue having the gap issue.
As I’m trying everything and the issue is time sensitive… Initially I though it might be related to length of Roon session, but now I’m starting to wonder whether is time related in the sense that happens more in the evenings/nights. I restart Roon every morning. Now at 20:00PM CET I’ve restarted it and still experience gaps, which I didn’t this morning.
Does it make any sense? Roon servers access speed AM/PM? HDD performance deteriorating over time? Other?. Internet connection speed and latency are pretty stable throughout the day, though.

Hello @Ricardo_Damborenea ,

I know it’s been a while, but I wanted to check in with you here to see if you are still seeing the lags between the album changes or if there’s been any improvement? We fixed a few memory leaks in recent Roon builds, and it sounds like you may have been impacted by that issue. Do let us know if there’s any improvement here, thanks!

It went worse in the build before the current one. I seems to be a little bit better now with newest built but I haven’t been able to do extensive testing and won’t be able to do it until late august. But lags still exist

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Ricardo_Damborenea , do let us know once you have a chance to look into this further and we’ll pick this back up.

I keep on having the same lag issues when changing tracks with Roon 2.0. It still happens the longer the session and the longer a previous song has played

1 Like

Hi @Ricardo_Damborenea ,

Apologies for the delay in response here, I missed your initial response and just saw it when doing a review of my previous cases. Are you still seeing the issue at the present time?

If so, can you please provide the exact local time + date when you next notice the issue? I’d like to get a fresh log set to see if we can make progress on your case and escalate this to the team if it is still ongoing, thanks!

It seems to have improved a lot since 2.0 (Native Apple Silicon?). Now lags seem to be no more than 2/3 secs at most when changing tracks. Much better.
If it comes back, I’ll post it

Thanks for the interest

1 Like

Hi @noris the issue is back. It did improve with the first Apple Silicon version, but now (newer builds?) the issue is back, although not as aggressive as before (i.e. lags are shorter).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Ricardo_Damborenea ,

It looks like your thread accidentally closed, so I have re-opened it. I noticed a related case reported on the forum, and your log files share some commonalities. I’m bringing your case with the team and posting the other thread below for reference, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Ricardo_Damborenea,

It’s been some time, but we’ve released major performance improvements in the interim that should have dramatically improved symptoms here. How have things performed on the most recent Roon build?

The issue of “gaps” has improved with the latest builds but has not disappeared completely. Now gaps are just 2- 4 seconds vs 20-30 seconds (and more) before. So not that annoying anymore.

Hi @Ricardo_Damborenea,

Thank you for the update. We have several more performance improvements in the pipeline that should hopefully continue to improve things. Please create a new topic thread if this lag time increases again.