Poor performance since b1353

These conditions must be insufficient because I have no issues with the same devices (ROCK, Mac, iOS, iPad, Android) other people do have issues with. There must be some additional factor(s) as well. (And I suppose if it affected everyone we would see even more forum traffic about it than we already do).

I’m on EA 1354 though, but according to Roon it’s supposed to be the same as 1353 and it seems some people are affected with 1354 just as much.

2 Likes

I am running Roon on Ubuntu 22.04.3 server, and contrary to others have experienced a markedly better performance as before the latest release with B1353. I have noticed better memory management on the server, and noticeably fewer RoonAppliance threads. I haven’t experienced any problems with playback or search (which remains as good or bad as before), nor have I noticed any increase in page load times.

My library is fairly large with 299k tracks, running on an Intel Core i5 8600K processor.

2 Likes

I hear you both @Suedkiez @Andreas_Philipp1

:+1:

Intel NUC 7i7BNH
Windows 11 Pro

_earlyaccess (Core) build

Almost unusable for ~3 days.

Today I’ve started streaming Radio with a Remote, stopped it, tried to restart & received the message ‘Looking for Core’.
Yesterday’s problem was no response / Remote hanging - so I tried using the Core directly & experienced the same thing.
And there is constant & repeated database analysis (spinning wheel).

Something has been broken.

1 Like

One thing that Roon might consider asking in its support template is the user’s country. There are obviously many issues with streaming services, and each streaming service relies on content delivery networks (CDNs) that may or may not be in ideal working condition. This would help the self-supporting population on these forums look more clearly for patterns in dysfunction.

In the case Roon itself is using CDNs (they might; I haven’t investigated) for metadata services, locale could play a role as well.

I am in the Northeastern United States and am not using streaming services. I have had absolutely nothing but brilliant performance with the latest release.

2 Likes

It does definitely use cloud services for metadata and search. As you, I’m un the US, and I have excellent performance.

Yes, but they can still be using cloud services without using a CDN.

Hello, all -
I wanted to add that after the most recent update my system is also extremely slow and unstable at times. It was working quick/efficiently before.

Just food for thought, a volunteer Roon moderator can flag these comments/issues for specific Roon staff or Roon dev teams (or at least at one point they could - I read their comments in other forums). For example, @Geoff_Coupe can do this for everyone.

We are doing this already via private moderator channels. Don’t worry.

3 Likes

Updated to RoonServer 2.0 (Build 1354) Early Access.
Same as before :roll_eyes:

And clients too?

There is no update for the clients

As the release notes for B1354 state:

The VERY poor perfomance has hit my regular Core also.
No obvious change has taken place, other than the addition of a sample album from Native DSD,
through a dedicated temporary library through a Junction-link.

It affects my Roon experience through very poor album browsing performance, Focus is completely unusable, and i can only rely on latest addition on Home view.

And yes, i have restarted both the server, and also Roon Server, twice…

2 Likes

And, all of a sudden everything works fine again? I wasn’t intelligent enough to check if this was due to file analysis or similar.
Neither did it occur to me to restart the Remote (on iPad Pro) which have seemed to rectify some of the recent weirdness…

Please have a look the timestamps @support if you have the opportunity, to see what might have caused this glitch?

Edit:
I found the culprit! For some reason, the controller persisted on showing my Albums with the focus on my Tag “Favourite Artists”… This was obvious after another restart of the server and remote… So, basically i had to wait it out, then de-focus on this particular “database-wrecker”. (Described in the previous post)
When focus and everything was reset, the controller and server once again synced, and response is back to expected.

For it seems that from time to time the remote still gets out of sync and than things like in your screenshot happen. When I quit the remote app and restart it than things behave normal for some time again.

And usually the out of sync happens when the iPad has been sleeping for a while…

Yes, i agree to a certain extent.

However, these kinds of misrepresentations of the server state that i have seen now, have not been visible pre-b1353.

2 Likes

I’m surprised it is happening with Nucleus as well. I assumed my issues were down to Win 10 :grin:

Indeed, same for me, it started with the current update.

1 Like