Popping and crackling when using Exclusive Mode & Power of 2 Upsampling

I have an issue with popping noises every second or so when using the setting as in the post title.
The popping still happens when I select Max PCM Rate, but only very rarely. As soon as I switch to ‘Power of 2’, the popping immediately returns every second - for all tracks and regardless of any other DSP or delay settings I change… except turning off Exclusive mode (in which case all is fine).

Any ideas?

I also tried switching my PC DAC to a different USB.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit
i7 hexacore
The DAC is connected directly to the Windows PC running core (build 360)

Hello @jayrammusic,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. I have a few questions as to have a better understanding of this issue:

• Can you please confirm that the same issue still occurs when playing higher bitrate content as well?
  • If you try to stream an MQA track off of TIDAL, do the same pops and crackles still occur?
  • Have you tried a different USB cable yet or just a different USB port on your PC? I would try a different cable as well.

Please let me know the above when possible and we can continue from there.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

As your DAC is usb powered it could be a power issue that you pc is not giving a steady power to the DAC maybe try using a powered usb hub and see if it helps or a different USB cable.

1 Like

HI, thanks.
Only tried a different USB port, not cable. Will check.
There are no issues playing any conversion (up to the 24/96 limit of my DAC) whilst not in exclusive mode.
When in exclusive mode, upsampling causes popping. Normal playback, without upsampling, whilst in exclusive mode is also fine (inc. for MQA streaming and playback of 24/96 files from the hard drive).

Will try that too. It is currently USB powered.
Thanks

Hello @jayrammusic,

I would agree with @CrystalGipsy here, I believe that your computer may not be outputting enough power to the DAC. Would you please be able to try a powered USB hub to see if this resolves the issue?

Thanks,
Noris

Hey, thanks
Will try that - my DAC connected to the core has not dc power input, only usb, so will get a powered usb hub and try.

1 Like

Powered USB fixed the issue.
:+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.