Fritzbox 7590 Router
SoTM NHG-10G switch
Intel 2.5g Ethernet Port with I225-V Chipset

Connected Audio Devices

Innuos Statement acting as Roon Bridge
T+A Headphone Amplifier connected via USB to Statement

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hello, I am getting popping / crackling sounds when playing back PCM files. Sometimes Roon will also bring the message that it has lost control of the audio device.

The core machine is new and I never had this problem in the past with my previous server. The rest of the audio chain has remained unchanged with the exception of the Software Version of my Statement Server (Roon Bridge) which has been updated to the most current version. (2.07)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx!

If you mean your Roon Core computer has this 2.5G Ethernet port and you’re using it, I suggest you try to avoid using it. If it has a 1G Ethernet port, use that instead.

Make sure all Roon related devices including the Core and the endpoints are connected to the switch, not the Fritzbox.

Thx Peter, Given that the 2.5G Ethernet Port is also not Euphony (Linux) compatible, I have ordered a Fiber NIC from StarTech instead. Will report back once I have it setup. Just need to figure out which SFP’s to order.

Well, when trying to narrow down these issues, I always suggestion simplifying the chain down to the fewest needed elements. Try connecting the T+A headphone Amp to the Core directly.

If you’re ordering a StarTech card with SFP cage, check out the Lumin tested StarTech single mode SFP module and Corning single mode fiber LC-LC here:
https://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

If you’re ordering a multi mode StarTech SC card (without an SFP cage), then you’d need a multi-mode SFP module and a multi mode fiber with appropriate connectors (probably SC-LC). I think another streamer manufacturer recommends TP-Link TL-SM311LM.

@wklie Peter, thanks for the recommendation and infos. Will opt for the ST single mode version although my SOtM nHG-10G Switch doesn’t necessarily require full cisco compatibility.

@Rugby Daniel, The approach makes perfect sense. I will circle back with T+A and see if they provide an USB Windows driver for the amp/dac. Will provide an update as things progress.

@Rugby So, I installed the T+A Driver for windows and connected the amp/dac directly to the core server.

The result … no snap, no crackle, no pop. Everything works great! :grinning:

Really now seems to support Peter‘s idea that the 2,5 G Ethernet Port could be the culprit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.