Popping noise like stylus skip with Peachtree Nova150

I’d just like to achieve the best possible scenario with my current set up. So, if ordering a UDM will accomplish that - - maybe that’s my best option?

I’m meaning only do this to troubleshoot the issue

Let’s go step by step here:

1. Is the issue caused by WiFi? The best way to debug this would be to try= to connect temporarily, for debugging the endpoint (Node 2i+Nova150) by ethernet to the same wired portion of your home network that the iMac is on.
  2. What to do if the answer to 1 is “yes”? The minimum change is to replace Airport Express by a different WiFi solution. Airport Express by far the worst WiFi gear I’ve used in almost 8 years of digital audio. I’m partial to Ubiquiti/UniFi gear but that’s because it’s what pros I trust recommended when I was ditching Airport Express, and because I’m fairly comfortable with configuration and management. TBH, just about any recent consumer mesh WiFi system would be better than Airport Express. I have AmpliFi mesh on one of my locations (Ubiquiti’s consumer brand) but I don’t stream over it except sometimes to a Chord 2go (which is not the most reliable device).
  3. Even the best WiFi gear cannot overcome a very crowded WiFi environment. Roon RAAT streaming seems to be more sensitive to momentary network congestion than (in my experience) typical DLNA implementations, maybe because Roon needs to maintain a close clock relationship between core and endpoint. Whatever the reason, it’s what it is, and a sudden burst of WiFi interference can cause a Roon stream to give up and skip to the next track. Having said this, I’ve been using WiFi endpoints (Naim and Linn) at this location with Dream Machine pending a wiring project and they have been almost flawless (a couple of glitches that may be a Linn issue).
  4. Sometimes it is possible to run ethernet over other wiring. My experience with ethernet over power line is terrible, but my experience with ethernet over coax with Adaptec MoCA adapters is great, that’s what we have at our other location and plan to have soon at this location as well.

For step 1. I already have the Airport Extreme that’s sitting next to my stereo in the living room connected to the Node 2i with ethernet and am using either my iPhone or iPad as remotes.
For step 2. For me, I have never tried a better router than the Airport Extreme. So, I’m open to trying something new like the UDM. Also, I’m in a one level apartment. So, take that into consideration.
For step 3. I live alone. So, my WiFi isn’t crowded. I use an iPhone, iPad, Node 2i, Mini 2i, Flex 2i, Peachtree DeepBlueSKY and a Fire Stick on my network - usually not all at the same time. When I tried using Roon with my stereo - it didn’t skip songs. It just made a popping noise that sounds like a stylus pop when playing vinyl records.
For step 4. How much does it cost to run ethernet over coax with Adaptec MoCA adapters in a 1 bedroom apartment? And who would I hire to do it?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Re step 1, not sure I understand. Is there a wired path from the iMac (Roon core) to the Node 2i?

I have 2 Airport Extremes. 1 is sitting on my desk next to the iMac connected with ethernet. The second APE is sitting next to my stereo in the living room connected to the Node 2i with ethernet.

Let me ask the question in a different way: if the iMac is sending a music stream to the Node 2i, does it go over wires, or does it go from the iMac to the first APE, then over WiFi to the second APE, and from there to the Node 2i?

I assume it goes from the iMac to the first APE, then over WiFi to the second APE, and from there to the Node 2i. Honestly, I’m not sure because I just open Roon on the iMac. Choose Node 2i. Then use my iPhone or iPad as a remote. And since there were pops in the music the one time I tried to stream from the Node 2i to the Peachtree Nova150… I’ve been using the Bluesound app to listen to TIDAL through my stereo. Otherwise, I choose the Node 2i and listen through either the Bluesound Mini 2i or Bluesound Flex 2i speakers. I also have a Peachtree DeepblueSKY speaker that my iPad is connected to with an Apple lightning to USB camera adapter with an AQ Dragonfly plugged into it. Then an AQ 3.5mm mini to mini cable into the 3.5mm jack on the backside of the speaker. I have the Roon app on the iPad and can stream TIDAL right from the iPad to the speaker. There’s a Peachtree app that I can use which TIDAL also works with to stream over 2.4ghz WiFi - OR - just use TIDAL Connect over Airplay. But it sounds better using the Dragonfly. I haven’t decided which Dragonfly I like best yet. I have the 1.2, Black, Red and Cobalt I’ve been playing with.

From your description, I agree that the connection from the iMac to the 2i is over WiFi, as are all the other connections you describe for other music services. As I wrote earlier, Roon is quite sensitive to WiFi quality between the Roon core (your iMac) and the Roon endpoint (your 2i). More so than for example Tidal on typical endpoints. So, going back to my point 1, could you experiment with connecting the audio system driven by the 2i to the same APE as the iMac, just to see if the clicks go away?

This is a good observation…perhaps one that Roon should flesh out in more detail in their networking best practices should it be so.

if you are in an apartment then its not the wifi you are using thats the issue per se its all the other apartments that have wifi interfering with you…its like being in a large bust restaurant and while your table may only have 2 people chatting…add in all the noise from every other table and you get some idea of wifi interference.

If you are going to bother cabling with MoCA and getting someone to run the Coax then you are much better served getting someone to run ethernet Cat6 from you modem location to the hifi area, but seriously try the cable over the floor first…always handy to have a long ethernet cable around - maybe one of your friends has one you could borrow?

sorry for the late reply…was around 3AM for my last post :yawning_face:

Living alone is no guarantee for congestion, in an apartment building there could 10s if not 100s of wi fi connections at any time. Just in my house we have 10 mobile devices all connecting let alone the neighbors

Maybe Google WiFi interference , it’s scary. Microwaves, Telephone base stations, baby alarms

WiFi will almost always be a pain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, last night I tried listening through my stereo over WiFi to see if the pops were still there. There were no pops this time. I’m still burning in my receiver. So, I left it playing all night. When I got up this morning it’s still playing with no pops at all. Maybe it’s a miracle. I might still try out a UDM. I just hope the pops don’t come back. Thanks for all your help and the education as well. I really appreciate it!

What if I put another cable modem next to my stereo and connected it to the APE in that location and then connected it to my Node 2i with ethernet? Is that possible? - OR - Could I just put my Surfboard modem in the living room next to the stereo (the cable hook up is right there on the wall) and connect it to the APE and from there to the Node 2i with ethernet? If I did that I would have to connect my Roon core (iMac) with WiFi. If any of this is possible - what’s the best way to do it? I have 2 cable hook ups in my apartment. One in my bedroom which I’m using now for internet. And one on the wall behind my stereo and TV. Currently, I’m not using that one because I don’t have cable service. I just have a Fire Stick for watching anything on my TV. What do you think?

As far as the long ethernet cable - I do have a friend who has a super long one that I could borrow. How much would it cost to hire someone to run ethernet Cat6 from my modem location in my bedroom to the HiFi area in my living room? And who provides this service? Remember, my modem in my bedroom is at one end of my apartment and the stereo in my living room is at the opposite end of my apartment. Just to give you an idea of the layout of my space.

You can’t get another modem and connect at the HIFI as that will just create 2 different networks that don’t connect.

Solve the issue first with the long cable to ensue the link inbetween is the issue.

Actually, the pops seem to have gone away on their own. Maybe it’s a miracle. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it! I might still try out a UDM though.

1 Like

WIFI connections can be like this. It’s such an unpredictable medium for data transmission because its not a guaranteed connection due to outside interferences. for general internet type stuff like web browsing and file transfers etc a drop here and there is not an issue, for audio streaming it is especially important with Roon as clocking is also used over the link and a delay here will cause dropouts. this might not be such an issue with other things like streaming from tidal without roon as they have buffers that can perhaps coverup such dropouts to the possible detriment of ultimate quality (don’t quote me on this).

Maybe you just got lucky/unluky timing wise when the issue was there and then not.

Do try the cable if you can so you can finish your trial period with some stability. Roon is not for everyone, but I would not want to be without now - user for more than 4.5years.

Thanks again for your help! I appreciate it!

Hi @BT_Lancaster,

Thanks for letting us know that the issue has resolved itself!

I would agree with the other user’s suggestions here, a network upgrade is needed since we have often seen issues surrounding Apple Networking Gear.

It sounds like you have some great advice from other users on gear suggestions, so if you have further issues, replacing this is the first step.

Happy listening and do let us know if there’s anything else we can assist with in the future!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.