Potential customer has questions & suggestions from trial (2 of 2)

Karl - it looks as though Roon had a momentary lapse of concentration when it imported that Bill Evans Trio album. Instead of identifying it as a single album, it’s split it in two. What is really strange is that although all the tracks exist as local files, Roon thinks that the first three tracks are of an album that is streamed from Qobuz (hence it says they are in “Qobuz”, i.e. being streamed from Qobuz and not held locally).

I think the resolution should be simple. Just go to the Album browser, set the Sort order to be by Date Added - and you should get the two albums side by side.

1. Select both of them (if your using a Windows PC for the Roon UI, right click them). You’ll see a Menu bar appear at the top of the Roon Window.
  2. Click on the “3 dots” option and choose Edit. This opens the Album Editor.
  3. Click on Merge Albums.

Hopefully, this will bring all the tracks together into one album, which now should be properly identified as the Portrait in Jazz album.

More info on the Merge Albums function is here:

I was able to find them similar to your method (they evidently were not added at same time, but filtered by name and got them both on same page), merged them, deleted the duplicate qobuz copies…but I don’t know, something still feels off. Now it is merged, with different file source locations (still not finding the actual copy I own - see snips below).

I have used iTunes for years and years, if I were using iTunes, I’d simply import the file from the source location. Doesn’t roon have something like this? a manual way to load something into the system?

snips (track 3 merged, qobuz copy, track 4 original on nuc)

It does seem strange. Is it possible that at some point in the past you listened to the first three tracks on Qobuz, and favourited them? They would have been automatically added to your library at that time. Then later when you purchased the album from Qobuz, Roon only added the later tracks into your library, because the first three tracks already existed?

No, I am only using qobuz to get the discount on high-res purchases through sublime. If I were streaming, I would use iTunes/Apple Music (and will let qobuz expire after first year of shopping :slight_smile: )

As a follow up for all the various items in this chain, I believe most are resolved (and one I need to review myself) there is one item that still remains: To Roon: how can I get Roon to “see” The Bill Evans Trio album I purchased? The first three tracks that we all have taken a first pass at? Is there a way to “remap” the songs themselves? Like tell Roon where the files physically live? I just need a path forward. Since I purchased on Qobuz, I could download multiple times (and different versions - like I could try ALAC instead of FLAC). But I am just wondering what built-in tools there may be…this doesn’t seem that difficult, but yet now solution yet. And thanks to all who offered suggestions on all this stuff - the community is part of what made me decide to do the membership…

Maybe remove all the tracks into an unwatched part of your Drive. In a folder named after Album

Go settings !> Library maintenance > clean unwanted files, this will force a reimport

In the Album folder use a tag editor (maybe MP3 tag it’s free) to make sure

All tracks have a sequential Track No
All tracks have the same Album Name
All tracks have the same Album Artist

Look for any funnies while you are editing

When you are done drop the folder back where it came from

Worth a try

1 Like

Hi @Karl_Mayhew,

Thanks for letting us know that most of the issues are resolved except for the Bill Evans issue!

What happens if you first create a Backup of your Roon database, copy the album to somewhere Roon does not scan, delete the album in Roon and copy it back to re-import? Do the tracks then show up properly?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.