Power supply for Ultra Rendu

Excellent, thanks for the info. I was curious if there a difference to have your music on a NAS vs SS drives in the transporter.
My set up is very similar, Qnap HS251( fan-less) with a pair of WD reds 4TB in raid 1. I have a net gear GS108 to connect things. I got some Audioquest Carbon ethernet cable even though my audio store found no difference between that and a lesser Audioquest ethernet cable. My experience was a small improvement and little difference in price. However where I did notice a difference was using the Telegartner RJ45 ends on the Audioquest cable. You can buy bare cable and add your own ends for custom lengths. I run one cable from NAS to switch and one from switch to Rendu. The Telegartner ends make a tight very secure fit. Have a look on the Audioquest site. I assume you can find these else where as well.
Re USB, with the Rendu set up you still need to run a USB from Rendu to DAC. Is there still not a potential jitter issue there? I know with my Schiit Yaggi they said the Gen 5 addressed that but I cant really tell, other than I really like my over all sound.
Thanks for the read, re tale of 2 computers.

Doesn’t the unit work less with a higher voltage? With SOtM there was talk of the 12V sounding better than the 9V option. I’m no engineer though…

This from Sonore
POWER SPECIFCATIONS
The Sonore ultraRendu utilizes an optional power supply capable of delivering 6-9 volts at 1 amp min (center +). Do not exceed these power specifications or damage to the unit will occur. Damage from an unapproved power supplies will void the unit’s warranty.

INSTALLATION
The ultraRendu contains both switching regulators and linear regulators, the switching ones are very efficient so the heat dissipated does not vary with input voltage, but the linear ones DO generate more heat as the input voltage increases.

The ultraRendu itself, gets a little warm at 6V a quite warm at 9V, all well within the operating range. The other consideration is what current a VBUS powered DAC uses. If your DAC uses the full 0.5A from the VBUS, the VBUS regulator in the ultraRendu will be generating a lot of heat, this could cause overheating depending on how much ventilation your ultraRendu gets.

If the case ever gets too hot to hold your finger on it, it is too hot, turn it off and either decrease the voltage or provide more ventilation. But this could only happen if you have a DAC that pulls close to the maximum current (0.5A). If your DAC doesn’t use any current from the VBUS or only uses a small amount, then anything in the 6-9V range should be fine.

Temperatures above the “I can’t hold my finger on the surface” will not immediately fry the ultraRendu, but will decrease it’s operating lifetime. It’s a cumulative thing, finding out that it was running really hot for a few hours is not going to cause any problem, it is the running really really hot 24/7 for months that will shorten the lifespan.

Install the ultraRendu in a location with plenty of ventilation. Do not install the ultraRendu near other gear that gives off heat via radiation or on gear that gives of heat via conduction.

So from the list of recommended power supplies
Teddy Pardo states up to 7V up to 2 amps.
Channel Islands states 7V 2A
and so on.

NB. I think its really significant to notice that the new Signature Rendu from Sonore uses AC power and NOT DC power. All of these LPS in effect deal with eliminating DC noise in the Rendu product.
There seems to be a lot of really good AC powered streamers but you pay for it.
I’ve also noticed a lot of synergy when you put the streamer in the same component with the DAC. Hence a lot of the new streaming-dac-pre amps. There is potential to get all the issues with cables and connections sorted out.
Simaudio has the new 390 pre amp that does just that. Keep eyes on that one. ( you eliminate the needed external power supply, eliminate the USB cable from streamer to DAC and RCA / balanced TRS connection to Pre amp

That would be as they’ve put their own power supply in…

I think there’s a view that there should be a separate power supply for each leg of the process, so unless there are separate transformers for each process, not ideal.

Grounding (loops) can be an issue, that would be easy (and assumed) in one box, less so with multiple boxes but not rocket science. Separate power supplies allows for tinkering and using new, better, cheaper arrangements (e.g. step down regulators).

1 Like

Absolutely agree, the better components all seem to to do just that, as in separate and isolated power supplies within the box. I know Simaudio specs and builds their own power supplies as do others.
I count three power supplies in the Schiit Yaggi DAC.

http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

and a bit off topic here’s the beauty of a power supply in a Primare pre 32.
0V5A1361

Hello everyone!

I am building a linear power supply to feed a Sonore UltraRendu and an UpTone Audio ISO REGEN, both powered by 7VDC.

Do you know the maximum current the UltraRendu would draw? What about ISO REGEN?

Thank you all in advance.

While it sounds like a fun project, if you’re expecting some change in the sound, bear in mind this post:

Maybe you only need to consider the ISO REGEN. It comes with a 7.5V/2.9A power supply, so 7.5x2.9 watts, 21.75 watts. So you’ll need a 6-9 volt supply providing at least that much power, for the REGEN.

2 Likes

The myth perpetuated by audiophiles that LPS are better than SMPS really needs to die…

LPS - low efficiency, big 50/60Hz transformers spraying magnetic fields everywhere. Full-wave rectification ripple at 100/220Hz.

SMPS - high efficiency, tiny, high frequency transformers. Switching “noise” way above the audio band.

The lowest noise, lowest distortion power amplifiers available use SMPS.

3 Likes

To answer your question rather than pass judgement on your choices, both can can be powered by the Uptone power supplies that come in matching cases to the UltraRendu. They max out at around 1 amp so a two amp supply with split outputs would be more than sufficient.
You could also get a good SMPS. The type doesn’t matter, what does is that it is good. But obviously if you are choosing to build then a linear supply is probably less challenging and has lots of suggested circuits out there if you search.

1 Like

I use the excellent Sonore Power Supply for my opticalRendu. Its specs are 7V, 1.5A continuous load, 2.0A peak.

1 Like

Hi my opticalRendu runs very hot, I’ve added a small AC Infinity fan in the area of the unit. On the lowest rate the fan is silent and it cools the opticalRendu unit very effectively