Networking Gear & Setup Details

FIOS GiGabit - homerun to router no issues with ethernet. nor Wifi

Connected Audio Devices

SMSL M400 MQA Dac. via. USB cable

RoPieee installed on Raspberry Pi 4B w 8 gigs ram
using recommended 64 gig card formatted thru BalenaEtcher

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Before I explain issue, I would like to state that ROON is a Premium-priced software product, which I purchased. The fact that the only way I can receive help is by a FORUM- based site, is unfair. I understand some companies are going email or Live-Text support only, to keep down costs, but this is NOT fair. I am a very experienced Audiophile as well as a very experienced PC/MAC user for decades.
Your documentation is NOT clear. for instance…I only found out this morning after 5 days, that MQA Music does not work with my fully functioning SMSL M400 Dac . It seems that hundreds of users have wasted a ton of time trying everything from new cables, to switching ports, to keeping volume controls at max. Bottom Line…my DAC light will NOT turn lavender, validating a true MQA signal pass.

After finally getting my Pi 4 RoPieee to properly see the CORE and proper ZONE label, now it is stuck at the “Turning OFF HDMI”. The terminal cursor sits there. I tried rebooting everything, as well as changing the Pi USB Port. I even deleted everything on the Pi and used a new approved flash card, but it hangs the same. There are MANY of the same reports on this and other Forums, but unfortunately no resolutions.
Is this a “fixable” issue please ??
Thank you in advance for anyone who is willing or able to help me.
Mike S

2 Likes

I’m glad to see that you made some progress. RoPieee is not a product of Roon Labs so it is unlikely to get any support for RoPieee from Roon Labs. You’re better off, posting your questions regarding RoPieee in the RoPieee category of the forum.

About your question regarding HDMI; from the RoPieee Beginner’s Guide you already know about:

Note: RoPieee gets manged over its web interface - a monitor of any kind connected to the RaspberryPi is not needed for that task.

Just a fellow Roon user here. It would be really helpful if you stuck with the original thread where @BlackJack was kindly assisting you.

What’s more, please describe your setup as described in this post, so you get some assistance from Roon Support or the community. The other thread implies that your DAC is connected to the Core, but you also mention a Raspberry Pi. In addition, you should connect your Core and Pi to the network using Ethernet.

Post a screenshot of your signal path.

Which input are you using? According to this thread, the SMSL M400 handles MQA over USB only.

1 Like

How did you get to be a Premium Roon Customer? I thought that we are all pretty much equal here or maybe we are all Premium Customers. :smirk:

6 Likes

You can email Roon support if you’d rather, but by using the forum you give other, quite knowledgeable, people a chance to help you. I suspect Roon support is temporarily a bit understaffed.

2 Likes

Yeah, what John_Aiello said. I read this title, and said to myself, “Oooh, a PREMIUM Roon customer. Wonder how you get that?” I probably wouldn’t qualify, though, wouldn’t even get through the intake interview.

Fair? Life is not fair, Bill – or is it Mike?

OK, so the Core is running on a Mac Mini running Big Sur, that sounds good.
You’ve got a Pi 4 running RoPieee and a USB cable running from that to the SMSL M400 DAC.
Now, can you post a screenshot of the Roon settings for the zone you’ve assigned to the DAC? Maybe they are what’s preventing the lavender light from turning on.

1 Like

It is frustrating when things don’t work as expected. Despite the mocking tone in some of the responses to your post, most here are willing and interested in providing assistance until Roon support can reply. We are all Roon customers.
Is it possible to bypass the RoPieee with your Roon Core connected via USB to your DAC? I suspect that the issue is the DAC requiring USB for MQA.

MQA albums on Tidal work just fine for me up to 352 K, so hard to see this as a Roon issue

Ok thank you. I was not trying to be an A** mentioning my “premium” level, but it is $300 a yr.
not some shareware $25 app. The fact that many of you are very generous with your time and expertise, does not mean that Roon has less of a responsibility to its’ users…

Ill take some pix. asap. thanks again

Blackjack, Sorry I did not know how to get back to you. I am new to Forums. …
In order to make sure I was not creating more of a problem, earlier today, I totally removed ROON from my Core MacMini machine in my DEN. I reinstalled Roon, and it is connected via USB to an SMSL M400 MQA DAC.
I know that I screwed up the ZONEs because I don’t understand them. I have taken some snapshots of the CORE machine to show you the settings. I think I named my Den as ZONE1.

Upstairs is my Pi4 connected via USB to an iFi ZEN. Apparently, Roon does not recognize my model, which is strange because it is its best seller ever. It is also a MQA Dac. I have an Android phone with Roon Remote app as well as another MacMini upstairs with Roon installed on it,but NOT as a CORE or Library source.
Ultimately I was trying to have ONE music library control two rooms. I built the Raspberry Pi4 Touchscreen to use with RoPieee and play music thru a connected iFi ZEN MQA Dac.

I can’t thank you enough. If I can help you with audio issues or a long-distance Dinner, please just ask…without you I am sunk :roll_eyes:
pictures to follow

Mike S
New Jersey

[Edit: Personal Information Removed as per forum guidelines]

You can post screenshots/images in the forum:

Regarding zones: Every device running a version of the Roon software can also work as endpoint (where you send music to). All the potential zones from all connected endpoints (including the ones from the RoPieee) should be visible to you in Settings|Audio where you can enable and name the ones you wish to use. Read also:

1 Like

Sorry to poke so much fun… Take those screenshots so we can see what’s happening and the group mind here will try to figure out.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.