Primephonic support by Roon

Will Roon adopt and accept newly announced streaming service “Primephonic” and add it to its support like Tidal Qobuz?

3 Likes

What Qobuz?

Yes, please!

Yes, please!

Yes, please!

+1 to adding to Roon.

I have subscribed to the new Primephonic streaming service and am quite pleased with the SQ (better than TIDAL) and huge catalogue of recordings. In response to a query I sent them, Primephonic told me that Roon integration will be rolled out in early 2019 and urged patience. I can hardly wait. The current Primephonic iOS app and browser-based player have only rudimentary search capabilities and don’t display more than the most basic metadata. Although they also indicated they plan to incorporate more metadata in future updates of the Primephonic player, it’s clear that full integration with Roon will give their users who subscribe to Roon the best possible experience, just as it does today with TIDAL.

3 Likes

I’m not sure where that is coming from, but whoever told you that is mistaken. We have no concrete plans to integrate Primephonic at this stage, and definitely haven’t committed to any timelines.

Bummer, looks like there would be interest for that service.

Brian, that came from Joris Nederpelt, who actually wrote “we aim to integrate with Roon starting early 2019.” I realize “we aim to” doesn’t equate to “we (and Roon) have solidified a deal to do it,” and if read narrowly and literally is aspirational rather than promissory. So in retrospect I guess I could have read it more critically and been less excited about it. I also could and should have simply quoted them rather than carelessly and confusingly paraphrasing their email, so mea culpa on that point.

“I have subscribed to the new Primephonic streaming service and am quite pleased with the SQ (better than TIDAL) and huge catalogue of recordings. In response to a query I sent them, Primephonic told me that Roon integration will be rolled out in early 2019 and urged patience. I can hardly wait. The current Primephonic iOS app and browser-based player have only rudimentary search capabilities and don’t display more than the most basic metadata.”

I am trialing Primephonic on my PC, but can’t get it to stream at 24/96. How do you do this?

I cannot be sure to a moral certainty. The Primephonic player doesn’t provide much information, including not indicating the bit depth and sampling rate for files. That said, I paid for their higher level service, which provides native files up to 24-bit depth. So I am relying on Primephonic’s honesty at least until they add a feature to display bit-rate info. I do know from past experience with the late lamented Naxos/Classics Online streaming service that the OraStream streaming platform used by both Naxos and Primephonic can we play native files up to 24/192 (it downsamples automatically if your bandwidth drops, but in most home settings it plays at native bit rates).

If one can’t tell, does it matter?

1 Like

I am using a project s2 digital DAC, which reports sampling rates. I can’t seem to get past 44K. I contacted Primephonic and am waiting for their response.

I understand your point, Slim, and I tend to agree, other than the fact that I am paying for all 24 bits and want to receive them! By “cannot tell” I didn’t mean “cannot hear” but rather that there is no bit-rate indicator in the Primephonic player.

Also, there are only two tiers of service with Primephonic, and the lower tier is streaming mp3s. I went for the higher tier because I can usually tell an mp3 from CD or higher resolutions and prefer more resolution than I get with mp3s.

I’m with that 100%.:laughing:

1 Like

The Primephonic website uses the same language to describe their integration plans with Roon and several other companies, including JRiver, Google, and Amazon - https://primephonichelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360001579731-Streaming-to-my-sound-system. It seems they are enthusiastic about doing everything, but actual plans are still at an early stage.

If you do end up partnering with them, perhaps this could be an opportunity to bring more editorial content into Roon. Curation is a big part of the pitch on their website.

I decided to try it out, but have been disappointed thus far. They tell me about 1 in 5 albums are available in high resolution if you use a web browser. The web browser app is very primitive and gives no information about sample quality – I don’t know if I am listening to anything that is hi-rez. And, you can’t identify high resolution content looking at their offerings. The initial offering to the public feels like a beta test. If things don’t improve, doubt I will continue my membership.

1 Like

Please add me to the list of users emphatically requesting integration with Primephonic. It seems win-win to me, as Primephonic has some interface issues that Roon would neatly address, and Roon would seem to benefit from some of the classical music streaming presentation and management work that Primephonic is doing.

BTW, I’m a new user on a trial subscription who loves the service and is pretty much sold on a subscription. Some indication of continued/improved integration of high quality streaming services might just push me into the ‘lifetime’ subscription realm. Keep up the good work!