Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

I upgraded my power from iFi iPower to a linear power: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263024207845

I had not expected much difference, but the SQ definitely improved. Better defined bass, and more details especially in the mid-range. But I will listen to it for a few days and then switch back and report.

2 Likes

Please do! Iā€™ve borrowed one from my dealer and itā€™s not going back. I like its sound better though when hooked to my Schiit Magni 2. The sound is very good with both my Hifiman He-500 and HD-650. Definitely a keeper.

Did some comparison between the linear power and the iFi iPower, and the linear power adds a little clarity, better defined sound and a quieter background. The difference isnā€™t huge but its there. It reminds me of when I removed the cover for the speakers, it gave a similar SQ increase.

And as mentioned, this is in comparison with iFi iPower, compared to no external power at all the difference is very big.

2 Likes

Just got my new S2 Digital and had a question for you guys. For those using it with external PS or USB power - are you letting it run 24/7? Any issues with burn in on the Display? Itā€™d be nice if Pro-Ject added an option to put the screen to sleep.

No issues whatsoever. My system stays on 24/7 :wink:

I put mine into mute by pressing the volume knob when I finished listing ā€“ a bit less info on the screen to burn in.

Received the LPS from China yesterday. Very nicely built. Have it powering the S2 and also the USBridge. Sounds good :slight_smile:

LKS 25v Talema LPS

5 Likes

Looks very similar to mine, how does it sound compared to before?

Hi Magnus, Iā€™m sure itā€™s the same thing inside, different case and LCD screen. Soundsā€¦too early to make a comparison as Iā€™m still in the placebo stage :slight_smile: I do seem to be more stable and have no MQA dropouts as I was having previously.

@Anthony_Bristol, @Magnus

These new units look interesting.

Maybe I am being dumb but how would you make these power the S2 over USB 5v output if you were also sending USB (from a Pi or PC/MAC).

The S2 advises not to run external power and USB power simultaneously?

The AQVOX units use a special plug to terminate the USB power so that the PSU power can be used. Is there similar here ?

Or are neither of you running USB signal into the S2 ?

Many thanks

1 Like

Hi Nick, JohnW (designer of this unit) says best performance is USB input and separate linear power supply (or battery) into the USB power port. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing.

PS @Magnus I used the iFi for a short while but it was causing horrible grounding issues with my Amp when powering the S2 so I sent it back.

The manual is wrong, the DAC has auto-switching power and will use the external power if present. Even the supplied cheap PSU gives an improvement over USB power (at least for me).

This DAC needs good power to shine, which is why they added the extra power input and auto-switching according to John.

I noticed something else with my linear power: good recordings sounds awesome, but itā€™s easier to hear the shortcomings of bad recordings. I am not sure this is 100% a good thing, but the SQ is very revealing for me now.

Hi Anthony,

Can I just clarify a couple of things to make sure I am not confused

JohnW is designer of the S2 ?

USB input is best on the S2 ? (I agree as it provides access to the widest range of data formats)

You feed the S2 from a USB Roon source into the USB input or via the DC pin ?

Hi Magnus

Thanks. The Project doc is quite misleading in that case.

So, you are both using USB signal input and the DC power rather than the USB power ?

If using the DC DC5.5 / 2.1mm power, the S2 auto switches and ignores the latent USB power coming in with the signal ?

many thanks

PSā€¦yesā€¦the more revealing a system gets the more you hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

I use USB from computer, through an iFi nano iUSB3 to the DAC, and then the linear power connected to the micro-USB. You can see on the DAC display when it gets external power (a green symbol up to the left).

I am not sure the iFi nano iUSB3 helps though, the DAC has good USB signal handling inside. I will experiment and try without it later.

Iā€™m not sure they are. Your unit is made by a manufacturer of ESS DAC. @Magnus unit is made by a guy who makes clones of Swiss amplifiers.

aha, I sit corrected!

@ncpl The S2 does not have a 2.1mm barrel, just USB power input.

ahā€¦yes. So you are using USB audio in via the standard USB and power in via the micro-USB.

Got it. Many thanks

1 Like

@Anthony_Bristol, did you have to specify in the order that you need larger Mating Plug Size 2.5mm x 5.5mm for USBRIDGE, or correct one was included by default?

Mine arrived today :grin:

Will be receiving an Intel NUC tomorrow which I intend to install ROCK on. I will connect the S2 to the ROCK via USB initially.

Canā€™t wait to tial Roon.

1 Like