Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

@brian I tested some MQA tonight in headphones on the Pro-Ject S2 dac, and beside the stutter during transition phase it did drop out of MQA a couple of times in the middle of the tune, back to PCM for a few seconds then up to MQA again. Bit-perfect playback of course (purple star). The tune was Kicks from Lights latest record Skin&Earth, which is on Tidal Masters.

I was streaming the tune, but this does not feel like a streaming issue since there was no full drop-out, just jump down to PCM and back to MQA (music continued playing).

I have not experienced this in Tidal or foobar, and I know John is going to blame Roon, so thought I should check with you if you heard about similar behavior from Brooklyn or Explorer2 users using Roon?

Iā€™ve reproduced this problem with that track in four different configurations.

• Roon + Pre-Box S2
  • Roon + Brooklyn
  • TIDAL app + Pre-Box S2 in MQA Passthrough mode
  • TIDAL app + Brooklyn in MQA Passthrough mode

(Itā€™s important when comparing the apps to enable MQA Passthrough mode in TIDAL0-- otherwise youā€™re not comparing apples to apples since the DAC is operating in a totally different mode)

I could not reproduce this problem at all with the Explorer2 and either app. I saw it in the other 4 configurations well within 10mins of looping the track, but not at all with the Explorer2. To an extent, only positive results are conclusive in this sort of test, so this is interesting as a clue but not proof of anything.

I feel pretty secure concluding that this is not a Roon issue given that it also reproduces with the TIDAL app when the DAC is in the same mode.

Iā€™m not the right person to tell you whether this is a source material problem, or a bug with those 2 DACs. There is definitely an opportunity for that sort of bug since both companies would have received the same materials

If it reproduced on the Explorer2, Iā€™d have been pretty conclusively in the source material camp. Ultimately, someone at MQA should be making that distinction, since they would have certified all of the devices + provided resources to the studio doing the production work.

Cheers for the investigation, I think the Brooklyn DAC also has the XMOS USB interface, which is likely where the MQA library does its magic (as in the S2), so maybe this is a MQA problem and not a DAC problem? That tune was just one of the tunes where I heard the glitch, so it seems unlikely its an error in the source.

Either that, or this is one of those rare cases where different HW/SW produce the same bug.

I tried the test with some other songs and didnā€™t get it. Could be something specific to the mastering of that song that triggers the bug. Not sure. I doubt itā€™s two independently implemented bugs that are totally unrelatedā€“these devices have too much in common for that.

(Explorer2 is xmos based, too, btw).

I think I have heard it on other songs, from other artists, and @gahabana mentioned the bug listening to something very different than Lights.

I was not implying that this is the only affected material, just that material seems to be a factor.

I canā€™t make it 10 minutes playing that song without hitting the bug, but Iā€™ve listened to whole albums of other stuff without encountering it. Thatā€™s why I am thinking the content plays into it somehow.

I tried the same track last night. At various times the audio drops volume and the MQA light goes out. About 2 seconds later it comes back. At no stage do I lose audio. Today playing straight jacket by theory of a dead man same thing happened.

This seems to be fixed in the latest release of Roon, beside the small issue with MQA (which I donā€™t use anyway), the DAC seems to work perfectly with Roon now from an SQ standpoint. And with the iFi iPower I just bought, it sounds awesome.

I seem to recall John saying that the DAC supports native DSD, which I canā€™t select in Roon, and DSD512 is unavailable. These are probably driver issues though, and not a big deal anyway.

Any news on the new beta driver coming out of beta?

No, but ā€œleft channelā€ on the pink forum has them up somewhere, send him a message to get the download link. Eventually I guess they will be available on the DAC pro-ject page as well.

Se thread here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-dac.201691/page-16

Yes, i knowā€¦ but prefer to wait for the official update as itā€™s not a big problem for me. Thanks anyway!

1 Like

Couldnā€™t resist, just bought one.

Does anyone know when theyā€™ll be available in the US directly?

From the horseā€™s mouth -

Bummer. Thereā€™s always EBay.

Thanks Slim! That is a bummer but the ebay units are not unreasonably priced. My concern is that I would not want to get one of the ā€œearly unitsā€ that carry the rumor of not having all the parts that were specified by the engineer, or any of the problematic firmware that has been causing the noise/pops issue. I havenā€™t followed that closely but my assumption was that purchasing through an authorized dealer in the US would have less of a chance of that happening, versus some dude in Germany or Italy where I cannot verify what versions they haveā€¦

Westlake addresses this issue in the same link I referred to. Short answer - not a concern.

:sunglasses:

Good to know. I may spend a little time and money on ebay this weekend :slight_smile:

Please, bite your tongue !

Pardon me. Wasnā€™t intended to indicate lack of trust in Italians or Germans, more that I am distant enough from the US that my remedies would be limited if I was sent a lemon, and there was some thought in my mind that the first of these units were lemons. That is apparently not the case!

I actually love Italy and Italians. Indeed I spent 2 months with my two young children in Italy this summer, and at some point I would like to do the same in Germany.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: