Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

They are available now in the US.

I just got mine shipped from audioadvice.com

Hoping to receive it in the next day or so.

Check firmware version, if you got 2.10 there is an update available (I have a 2.11 beta which fixes some clicks at sample switch and DSD channel swap).

Donā€™t do that.
Try this.

So much for the mouth of the horse.:neutral_face:

Thank you Slim! Just placed my order!

Let us know how everything worked out, please.

Hmmm Iā€™m thinking of getting one of these for my old man, replacing his current iDAC2.

The iDAC2 fed up-sampled DSD256 via the ultraRendu sounds incredibly good.

As soon as this Pro-Ject Pre S2 lands in Australia Iā€™ll need to do a demo and comparison.

Magnus, where did you get the firmware update from?

So I managed to do some critical listening last night with headphones. I must say, as a headphone amp I really like it, it drives my b&o h5ā€™s really nicely. I did have some issues with mqa dropping out part way through songs and was starting to get disappointed, but I switched out the USB cable I normally use for my DAC with a newer one and that seemed to solve it. I felt that the iFi Purifier still helped the sound, so left it on. I was also able to do some comparisons of mqa against 16/44.1 flac and sometimes it was clearly better, other times it was less clear, I suspect it is dependant on the original master. Will be putting into my main system after Christmas. My wife has just put TuneIn on over the fire TV. Ugh, sounds horrible :pensive:

What is so special about this device? I donā€™t get what is getting everyone so excitedā€¦

Simply the Best! :slightly_smiling_face:

10 times more expensive is may be 0.001 mm closer to the ideal asymptoteā€¦
So in real life, this little box is the best.

1 Like

Well that does not help much, but thanks anyway for sharing your enthusiasm.
I look forward to reading some reviews.

Clever, clever :wink:

It is cheap and designed by someone respected in this industry.

OK. I read some more feedback on some other threads. It seems to be good, but maybe not quite good enough to replace a good dac in a main rig, and maybe not cheap enough to justify placing in a secondary rig (for example, I use a Chromecast in my office)? Just my point of view, of course, but Iā€™ll pass. Always tempting to think one will find a ā€œgiant killerā€ but I doubt this will be itā€¦

Iā€™m wondering what the hype is all about. Is it because it delivers MQA for relatively little outlay? Or that itā€™s an outstanding DAC? Iā€™ve yet to find anything that competes with an IQaudIO DAC+/ RPI combination in this price point. The Bluesound Node 2 (Ā£500 vis-Ć -vis Ā£300 for the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital) had a very similar sound to the IQaudIO, possibly because they share the PCM5122, but was no better based on my non-scientific listening skills. Is the Pre Box S2 worth an audition?

Donā€™t you think that youā€™re so fussy about this little giant?

Not really. Maybe you are being a little over enthusiastic?

The DAC section of the Project is a dual mono design the others you mention is not.

Not sure how this answers my question. The PCM5122 is a stereo DAC CMOS IC; IIRC the Bluesound uses one per channel yet still has a similar sound ā€œsignatureā€ as another DAC using the same IC costing just a few dollars. Iā€™m interested to learn why people are excited by the Pro-ject ā€¦ is it the promise of MQA or does it sound fantastic?

The ProJect also does DSD, which gives more options for upsampling in Roon.