Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Set-Up Digital Question

I have just purchased this DAC and am having problems on the initial set-up. I am connected to Windows 10 PC via USB 3.0 - but when I change the Default Format in the Properties to anything other than 44100Hz the sound when clicking Test becomes distorted, the higher the sample rate the more distorted it gets. Same occurs when playing in Roon, anything other than 44100 Hz is distorted.

I previously ran with DragonFly Red with MQA and up to 192 kHz will no issues.
Please, can anyone help.

Hi, can you share screenshots of all your Roon ‘Audio’ settings?

Are you using the Pro-Ject WASAPI driver? If so, have you got “Exclusive Mode” enabled?

You can also use the Pro-Ject ASIO driver (which essentially always runs in Exclusive Mode) available on the S2 Digital website.

@dabassgoesboomboom - Unfortunately I don’t think this is an issue with Roon setup. The distortion issue occurs when Roon is not involved, here is the windows dialog on which there is distortion at any sample rate other than 44.1 kHz.

What happens if you plug it into a USB 2 port

@Rugby - just gave it a go, exactly the same distortion.

Noted but I thought to try WASAPI (in exclusive mode) or ASIO drivers first with Roon, in order to by-pass Windows sound manager… to try to get that working first, then worry about Windows sound later…

Did you try it with Roon?

@krjtx

Did you download the Pro-Ject USB drivers from their website?

–MD

I will include here all the set-up shots - Let me know if you need anything else

I believe this shows what is the latest firmware and ASIO Driver (also get the same results with Windows 10 Waaspi driver)

Set-up after I identified the device in Roon

Hmmm can you play something using the ASIO driver in Roon and show the Roon signal path when playing something that gives you this distortion sound.

Is it like a static white noise?

The distortion is actually of the track being played in Roon, It sounds very jittery and the higher the sample rate the worse the distortion. I had no issues using the same signal path but with the
DragonFly Red instead of the Pre Box s2 digital. Here is the signal path

Can you change the top setting - DSD Playback Strategy from “Native” to “DSD over PCM”?

Hope this helps.

–MD

Won’t help with the PCM96kHz shown in the signal path though. If ASIO and WASAPI (Exclusive Mode) don’t work for PCM playback, I’m out of ideas to try unfortunately.

Might need the help of @support with this one.

Could it be maybe the USB 3.0?

–MD

I think he already mentioned further up trying a USB 2.0 port with the same issue.

Oh - missed it… My bad.

-MD

1 Like

Hi Sean,

ever tried to rule out the DAC (got it too w/o problems since hooked to their Stream Box) by setting up another core temporarily? Ideally a Mac since no extra drivers needed.

bk

1 Like

Hi Bernd, this is definitely something I would try.

I’m not the one with the issue but maybe @krjtx can try it.

I tagged support already earlier, so maybe they can help when they reach this thread later.

1 Like

Oh, missed the thread owner. Thanks for pointing to @krjtx
Anyway ruling out possible sources of errors (DAC, Windows PC, USB port, drivers) always is helpful.

:nerd_face:

Hi @krjtx,

This doesn’t quite seem like a Roon issue since you mentioned that the same behavior occurs on Windows sound properties too, but have you tried a different USB cable yet that is less than 6 feet? I have seen quite a fair share of USB cables going bad so it would be good to get that out of the way. Also testing on another Core would be a good data point as others have mentioned.

– Noris

thanks everyone for their suggestions, which I have now tried everything (except using MAC).
@noris I think you are correct in stating this is not Roon related. At this stage I am going to return the DAC - which is a pity since it has everything you could want from a Roon DAC at a great price point.