Problem playing HighRes via ROON Bridge on Raspberry Pi 3

Hi !

Yesterday I installed Roon Bridge on my Raspberry Pi 3 on top of Ubuntu mate 15.10.

The unit is connected via USB to my Hegel HD30 Dac.

Everything works well BUT, I get sparkle and pop’s while playing HighRes-music from my NAS, otherwise it works fine on CD-quality and from Tidal.

How is your RPI3 connected to the network? If via ethernet, that might be your problem. The RPI3 uses the SMSC LAN9514 chip for USB and Ethernet over a single channel to the SOC. So I imagine that would go wrong at hires (and sound … otherwise).

What resolutions are you using @Erik_Hansson ? If it’s DSD then the single channel issue is most likely the problem. Other users have been able to stream 192 kHz without a problem. If that is where you are having issues then it could be a networking problem. Can you describe your networking setup ?

Options to avoid the single channel problem include:

• Possibly, using the inbuilt Wi-Fi input into the Pi 3 instead of Ethernet. I haven’t checked this so don’t know if it cures the issue. A Wi-Fi USB dongle would not;

• Using a HAT on top of the Pi, which connects by l2s through the GPIO header. The Hifiberry Digi+ is an example, with Toslink and Coax S/PDIF outs. Haven’t seen one with a USB out (but haven’t exhaustively searched);

• Using a similar ARM device that doesn’t put Ethernet and USB on the same channel. I use a CuBox-i as an HQ Player NAA, have also used a BeagleBone Black. Others have used a WandBoard.

Not sure what load Mate puts on your Pi, but I can imagine running the full graphical desktop AND processing high-res is a bit much. A more bare-bones install may suit you better.

1 Like

Hi !

The single channel for networking should not be the case because I can play the same files FLAC 192/24 with an RuneAudio-image by my DS-Audio software from Synology with DLNA with the same cables and physical-port on the switch without any crack’s and pop’s. I will have to go back to an light Raspbian Image instead to se if that help.

Thank You !.

Hi !

Yesterday evening I’ve tried an Raspian LITE-image on the SD-card and installed Roon-bridge.

And also there is no problem to play Highres what so ever through my Ifi Micro iDSD, this was the situation with Ubuntu MATE to. Will the fact that I first boot the system with my Ifi Micro iDSD connected and then transfer it to Hegel HD30, be a problem ?