Problem playing some Hi-Res Multichannel Tracks

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC i3 1.7Ghz 4GB 256Gb
Windows 10

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I use a Google Nest Wifi Pro. My media is stored on a NAS connected by ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

My setup is a simple one: my NUC PC is connected directly to my aged Sony STR-DA5300ES AVR by HDMI. I also have some Google Hubs and Speakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

My music library has 31,000 tracks, of which nearly 4000 are surround files.

Description of Issue

I’ve been using Foobar2000 up till now to play my extensive collection of surround albums, some are FLAC, some ALAC and some DSD files.
However, as my name is Ron, I really felt I should try out Roon.

I’m am having problems playing some hi-res FLAC files from my NAS. When I play 6 channel 192kHz/24-bit tracks I get an error “Failed to initialise the Audio Device”. 6 channel 96/24 tracks play fine as do Stereo 192/24 tracks. Also the offending tracks play fine on my Google speakers when downmixed to stereo.

The HDMI output is setup as WASAPI with all the default settings except Channel layout as 7.1.

Further to this, I have discovered that when I set Max Sample Rate to ‘Up to 96hKz’ everything runs ok. Why should this be? Does Roon think HDMI can’t handle 6-channels at 192kHz? Or is my NUC not powerful enough?

Incidently, I’m also looking at HQ Player and that will happily play the file.

OK it seems I’ve been deluding myself all this time. I’ve checked the manual for my receiver and it clearly states that it only supports a “sampling frequency less than 192 kHz”. So Roon is correctly identifying the situation.

Please feel free to remove this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.