Problem with AAC Radio Streams to Sonos over WiFi

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology RS3617xs, DSM6.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

20Gbps fibre backbone from core to Dell X1052P enterprise switch.

WiFi - Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro X 3 via GbE wired connection to Dell X1052P

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bluesound Node 2i - GbE
RPi4B - GbE
Various Sonos devices. Playbar and 3 X Play:1 over ethernet
4 X Play:1 over WiFi

Description Of Issue

BBC Radio2 AAC 320 plays just fine over Ethernet connected devices - Bluesound Node 2i and Sonos speakers. Over the WiFi connected Sonos devices, it pauses every few seconds, then restarts, then pauses. WiFi speed tests are 40Mbps down, 30Mbps up over 2G WiFi connection which the Sonos connects to.

I would appreciate any insight into this. It’s strange that it’s specific to WiFi. Is this a SonosNet implementation issue or an issue with AAC encoded streams? I can play a 96/24 flac from my library to the same WiFi devices, which Roon downsamples to 48/16 without any issue.

As a few extra data points, you could try the radio paradise streams - they have flac, aac and mp3 variants.

Many thanks. The Radio Paradise streams work just fine. It’s most perplexing that BBC Radio 2 has issues, but only over WiFi connected devices. The wired devices are just fine :thinking:

Hi

Any update here?

I have Core running Rock on NUC over Ubiquiti network and wireless APs

I have exactly same issue playing BBC radio stations to Sonos Amp. ie play back stopping after a period and needing restarted.
I have not tried to play to Wired Sonos endpoints so cannot report there.
I have no issues playing BBC stations through Naim Dac V1 connected to iMac.
No issue when playing Radio Paradise AAC stream or flac stream through to Sonos Amp

Thanks

CK

I haven’t found a solution to this yet. Radio 2 plays fine from Tune-in, though obviously it’s a lower quality stream. Other high quality radio streams play fine via WiFi and I can stream HD stuff from Qobuz/local library via Roon which Roon downsamples to 48/16 with no issues.Bluesound Node 2i is fine with Radio 2, though again, it’s a wired connection.

1 Like

Sorry Graeme

My post was directed at @support and also @BrianW to add a further datapoint rather than you.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

It looks like it is a BBC /HLS stream issue so we will see if anything happens.

Regards

CK

Apologies if I’m in the wrong thread. All BBC stations I play to any of my Sonos speakers cut out persistently. If I switch to the Sonos app they play with no issues.

Sounds like the same problem I have - I’ve only tried BBC Radio 2 though.

Hey @Graeme_Finlayson,

Thanks so much for describing in such detail what you’ve discovered about the interruption in playback. Sorry about the trouble and, most of all, for our delay in replying. As you might know, we’re working our way through an unprecedented number of requests and it is taking us much longer than we had hoped :pleading_face:

One of our technicians will get back to you on this thread. Please, bear with us just a while longer :bear:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.