Problem with album track names

This is bad metadata being supplied to Roon by Allmusic. I’ll flag @metadata who will sort it out. It’s one of the quirks of Roon that if it has identified an album, it is very difficult to go against it.

In the meantime, as a temporary fix, if you have adequate file metadata, then unidentifying the album will work.
Goto 3 dots, edit, identify and keep saying no to Roon’s suggestions, until it suggests using file-based metadata. You will lose the album description though.

When Allmusic has fixed the problem, you can identify the album again.

1 Like

From File Tag Best Practice - Achieving Great Results From File Tagging:

Hi @xred,

I have reached out to our metadata provider and requested they make a change here. I’ll keep you updated once we hear from them.

Thanks for the report!

Thanks, folks! I’ll tweak the tags, see if that works – while we’re having the metadata provider address this.

Forgot to ask, what program do I use to add WORK and PART tags? I have Yeti, and don’t see those tags there, nor do I see how I can add a custom tag.

Does SongKong know about tags WORK and PART? They seem to be proprietary to Roon, are they not?

They are not. They are just for classical music (almost) only and thus most programs don’t show them in standard configuration. Every good tagging software allows the user to add any, even user defined, tags at will.

For the question about SongKong, @paultaylor should be able to answer that.

@xred yes SongKong supports WORK and PART as standard

Hi @xred,

Our metadata provider has let us know that they have corrected this today. Please give this about a week or two to be reflected within Roon. Once you see the change on your end please mark this post as the solution.

Thanks again for your report!

Awesome, thanks @dylan. So, in the Roon, what do I need to do? Re-identify the album? Something else?

Hi @xred — This should automatically update, but it will take a bit of time for this data to make it’s way to your database.

ok, will check periodically, and update.

Just checked. Something did change, and it looks better, however still not there. Disk 1 is ok - not perfect, but acceptable - top image below. Disk 2 however still screwed up. In the different way than before, but still no good - second image below. First of all, note that all tracks are repeated. This is weird. I checked and each pair is referencing the same file. If I delete one, both are blown away, as the file is deleted.

Then, see how “Symphony No. 9 in D major” interlaces the flow of the tracks. That’s not good.

Perhaps I didn’t wait long enough and more metadata changes are still coming. If so, no problem, I’ll come back re-check in a couple of days.

Here is Disk 1:

And here’s Disk 2:

Look at the timings for the tracks on disc 1. This is one of the (rare?) CDs that makes use of sub-track indices, allowing jumping in to sub-sections of the track. So track 1 (the first movement) is broken down into 8 sub-sections, each of which is exposed and picked up by Roon (or your CD-player).

I know! And so, as I said, Disk 1 is done right. It’s Disk 2 that is trouble now.

Hi @xred,

Would you mind sharing this album with us?

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me a private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

Thanks, @dylan. Just sent you the dropbox link.

Check this out. Again, the tracks on Disc 2 are duplicated for some reason. And when I play one both are showing as playing at the same time. Maybe the bug, in the client app or the server, not sure.

Hi @xred,

This imported okay on my end, so here’s what I’m hoping we can do next:

1. Make a copy of this album and place it outside of your Roon watched folder
  2. Delete this album in Roon
  3. Reboot your Core machine
  4. Add the copy you made back into your Roon watched folder

Let us know if this changes anything.