Problem with artist/album artist identification

Hi @Rumiho – sorry for the frustration here. There is a definitive fix coming for this issue. A few, actually.

First off, it’s important to understand that Roon is not simply extracting artist information from your file tags and displaying it, like most other apps. In addition to all the rich metadata Roon retrieves about artists, our data model is designed to ensure we can distinguish between Miles Davis (the legendary jazz musician) and Miles Davis (a guy that played bass on a Kanye West track once).

Sometimes this goes awry, and we either consider two different people to be equivalent, or we split an artist into two entries. This is complex, and I’m sure the problem is worse for Japanese content, where different metadata sources may represent an artist’s name differently.

While the current system works well in many cases, there are real issues in this area that we’re currently dealing with in 3 ways:

• We are tracking equivalence issues here, where I’m going to move your Ai Otsuka post above, so we can get a correction checked into our database. A correction was checked in a few months back for the Ikimono-gakari issue you mentioned in your original post, and I’d be interested to know whether that’s still an issue. If it is, it would be great if you could select all the affected albums, click Edit, and then click Re-Identify.

• We are planning some work for improving the accuracy of our artist equivalence logic. This will be a server-side change, and should help ensure that we don’t end up considering Ai Otsuka to be two separate artists. The list of issues we’re fixing in the thread I linked above will offer us lots of tricky cases to test the new implementation against ahead of our 1.3 release, which will be focused on these kinds of issues.

• Most importantly, 1.3 will allow for full editing of links and credits in Roon. Right now, albums are tied to whoever is credited as the main performer and because credits can’t be edited yet, you’re stuck until we fix the credits (which is what we’re doing in the equivalence thread). We know how frustrating this is and, while I’m 100% confident our automatic metadata will continue to improve, the real solution is to allow for full editing of credits. This is coming.

We’re wrapping up 1.2 now, and this is the next major project for us. Just know that we’re aware of this problem, and addressing it completely is a top priority for us. We appreciate all the feedback, and everyone’s patience.

2 Likes