Problem with certain Pentatone recordings in Qobuz

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon server 1.7 (build 571). Linux os.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Cable Modem running at 500 mbs, Music Server connected via Ethernet cable.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Using Wyred 4 Sound Music Server with i7 processor, 4tb of storage. DACS: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC with I2S connection, and Wyred 4 Sound Anniversary DAC with USB connection.

Description Of Issue

Some high resolution Pentatone recordings from Qobuz, and only those recordings, are making a random clicking sound when playing. The two recordings that have been making the noise are: (1) Khachaturina Violin Concerto, Prokofiev violin concerto, and Glauzunov violin concerto, with Julia Fischer (violinist), Pentatone recording at 192kHz 24 bit; (2) Bartok The two violin concertos, with Arabella Steinbacher, violinist, Pentatone recording at 96kHz 24 bit.

The problem happens only with these two recordings from Petatone from Qobuz. I will have to check if it happens with other Pentatone recordings. It does not happen with any other recordings from Qobuz or Tidal. I reported the issue to Qobuz as well.

Cannot hear those clicking sounds here. Could you check if they are repeatble or random ? Could you please provide trach/timing info for the clicks you hear ?

I have that recording as a digital download bought from HDtracks (before Qobuz came to the US). No clicks.

On the Julia Fischer the first appears at around 33 seconds into the recording.

Another at around 1:43 ti 1:44 into the recording.

I do hear a small click around 33 secs, and another one around 2:03. They are weak, but noticeable to a good ear.
Would need to download a copy to tell if those clicks are inherent the recording, or due toQobuz.

On the Julia Fischer I get the same clicks at 5, 10, 33, 1.43, 2.00.

But I also get these these clicks using the native Qobuz app. If I throttle the streaming rate to 24/96 or below I don’t get the clicks.

I have had similar issues with other Qobuz recordings (not PentaTone), but after complaining and a long wait Qobuz did actually fix the problem. I assume they got replacement rips from their content partner.

Hello @Jose_Auger, and thanks for your report! If you listen to this track in the Qobuz app, do you here the clicking there too?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.