Problem with merging albums of Beethoven Quartets - Alban Berg Quartet

For some reason Roon refused to merge two albums into a collation of two. It insisted on merging them into the one album but that gave a doubling of track numbers. This was overcome by re-numbering the tracks.

But when this new large “album” was collated with a group of 3 other (different) Beethoven Quartets by the Berg group the same thing happened so I gave up. So now I have two groupings of the Beethoven quartets, one with 3 collated albums and the other large “album” there alone. For some weird reason the 4 albums (really 5) cannot be collated into the one group.

Can anyone explain what might be going on?

The merge function is typically used for multi CD albums and box sets.

Do these two CD fit into this category?

Maybe you could post some screen shots … one for each CD before the merge and then one afterward to illustrate what you are seeing.

Yes, it fits into that category.

Same composer. Same artist group (Alban Berg Quartet). Same type of compositions (Beethoven Quartets) BUT different issues.

One collation of three CDs in an EMI set with quartets 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.

The other collation, now a single album, is of quartets 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 also EMI but issued under “Great Artists of the Century”.

It is no big deal but it puzzles me why yesterday I could not collate them into the one listing of 4 albums using Edit Merge, but just now could!!!

It seems that ROON had indigestion yesterday so needed to be shut down and rebooted. For some odd reason it got stuck into an incorrect path.

It was turned off while I did the backup last night so appears to be now behaving.

The joys of Microsoft.

@Carl, @support, below is “advice” about using the merge facility which might be useful to appear somewhere. I’ll put it here as I’m unsure where else to post it. There was a call some time ago for hints suggestions with an offer of reward (which I’m not bothered about) but I cannot see where such item go.

Exercise Care with the Edit-> Merge for collating classical albums
Strictly speaking this should only be used for very similar albums (e.g. CDs in an opera set), ones which carry the same cover. This is very useful as it enables all of the opera to be seamlessly enjoyed from start to finish.
Expanding the merge function to collate similar albums e.g. a set of Mozart piano concertos, works in practice if all albums involve the same artist(s) but the display cover might be misleading in that it is chosen from one of the CDs and headlines the works on one particular album. In itself that is no big deal if one remembers what is in that collated set.
But collation can be misleading with albums “hidden” if there is a mix of composers/works involved. Grouping albums together just because the same Artist(s) are involved might be OK with popular fare (although even here care is needed) but can bury classical albums. Frequently an album is recognised by its cover but in a collation only one of the covers in that set is displayed so others with different covers in that set might be overlooked.
It is a personal decision and can depend a lot on how retentive is one’s memory to be able to recall what album has been located where.
It is possible to pull an album out of a collated set but the cover and header might not be that of the original and will need editing. Also, in some cases corruption of tracks can occur in this removal process. Bottom line is that it is wise to be cautious about collation.