Problem with the most recent version on QNAP

Doing a complete restart of the QNAP and restarting the Roon app again finally it shows like:

But strangely still no clients are finding the roon core!

Puh - a few minutes later it again get’s to “angehalten / stopped” - no matter if I restart the Roon app. This is very strange and very annoying. Hopefully QNAP is coming up quickly with a fix and next time testing more properly.

The OS is what the software (Roon Server) runs on. It contains the kernel, drivers and additional software needed to run and operate the system. Yours seems to be outdated – an update to the current version might get you up and running again. Even if not, there is usually no support for systems running on outdated software/OS.

It’s very unlikely that anyone, be it Roon Labs or QNAP, is testing on/against outdated software/OS.

PS: Also 2 GB RAM seems rather low for a Core with streaming services enabled. See also: Roon Server on NAS

We strongly recommend 4GB of RAM and an SSD for the Roon databases .

I absolutely get what you are saying. Currently not intending to update firmware because of a few compatibility issues with other software.

Running Roon on this QNAP has never been a problem at all (also checking performance and RAM usage) during streaming of Tidal (also MQA unfolding) or via FLAC files.

In the changelog of this build there is also no indication of any changes or requirements in view of kernel, file system etc.
So should be working out as usual.

Though Roon still seems not to have identified what is going wrong with this update not only affecting QNAP users but also windows users I read.

@noris Could you also enable auto diagnostics mode for my core. In the meantime I also exchanged with @crieke to install the latest Roon QNAP provided by him.
Unfortunately the problems still remain. Maybe you can find more insights - or just drop me a line if you need any further things to check / try out.

Hi @Carl, unfortunately many severe problems were introduced with this build (Roon completely broken on QNAP devices / clients etc.)
What major changes in Roon have been made to be able to cause that broad issues?
Any idea why previous testing didn’t also reveal this - as it hit many users right away.

Do you have an open support thread with just your issue in it as you seem to be going round every other thread.

Yes - but just wanted to ask Carl if they have an idea what is causing such broad problems.

There’s obviously a qnap issue. Until roon Devs get into it no one will know.
95 percent of those issues have been fixed with the unauthorise selection. Roon will have to plumb the code to see what’s occuring.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve moved some posts to your support topic, cross posting in other’s people support topics is not so helpful as it tends to slow down the work of Roon’s support team.

As Ged, states … there does appear to be an authentication issue with Roon on QNAP however for most people the work-a-round overcomes the issue. I suspect you have a different issue here, that will require Roon’s support team to bottom out the root cause.

Had an amazing teamviewer session with @crieke ! He managed to analyse the installation and found out that there was a missing library with firmware 4.2 on QNAP. He was able to fix that manually for me.
So I think about updating to firmware 4.3 in the future anyway :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your great support @crieke!!

4 Likes

Useful if you went round and updated all the threads you were in to let people know you needed a firmware update.

4 Likes

You should really consider updating QNAP’s firmware in a timely fashion. If for no other reason that it’s full of fixes for security holes that are actively being exploited.

3 Likes

Hi @Markus_Hubner,

Glad to hear you sorted the issue out with @crieke’s help!
Do let us know if you run into any further difficulties with Roon!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.