Problems connecting Roon with my Mcintosh MA5300

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro 2016 (OS Mojave 10.14.6), 16GB Ram

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mcintosh MA5300 Integrated Amp
Sonos Play 1
Pair of Klipsch Heresy III speakers

Description Of Issue

I’ve downloaded Roon this morning to give it a go. No problems on the install. It’s automatically recognised by my Sonos Play speaker but not my McIntosh MA5300 Integrated Amp which I am led to believe is Roon Tested. I’ve added the MA5300 as a device, but the only place I can see to do this is under Audio Device in the ‘This Mac’ section of the Audio settings. I can select MA5300 from the list of devices, but anything played once this is selected just comes out of the computer. The Sonos works fine.

So basically it seems I can’t connect the Core Machine to the Amp. I’ve never used the MA5300 for streaming before, so I’m not certain I’m doing everything right. Re-reading the MA5300’s instruction manual it says that for Mac users I don’t need to add any drivers etc. It was my assumption it would be streaming ready but perhaps I have that wrong?

Any help is appreciated!

Stuart

Hi @Stuart_Hamilton,

If you temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus that is running on the Core machine is there any change?

Hi Dylan

Thanks for the quick response. I’m not running any antivirus and no firewall is up or VPN on. So nothing doing there I’m afraid.

Stuart

Hi @Stuart_Hamilton,

Have you made sure to select the proper Zone prior to starting playback? From you description it sounds like you could accidentally be playing to the laptop speaker’s zone.

You will need to first enable the McIntosh in Roon Settings -> Audio and then select it from the side zone bar list as the active zone prior to starting playback:

If you have made sure of this, I kindly request a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab and a screenshot of your Signal Path.

Thanks!

Hi Noris

Thanks for the response. Attached is a screenshot of what I see in the zone list.

Then here is a shot of the Roon settings.

Then the signal path.

Then the device setup for the MA5300.

Hi again

Some further thoughts. I’m wondering if I have things confused from the beginning - I am/was under the impression that the laptop I am using as a core machine would not need to be connected to the MA5300 in order for me to stream music to it. I thought that as the MA5300 was Roon tested it would show up in the roon tested section of Roon’s audio settings much as my Sonos speaker. The reason why I thought this was the following (in the context of the recent announcement sent around McIntosh about more products being Roon tested):

“Existing Roon users can trigger their system to acquire the McIntosh device icons and optimized settings by simply restarting their Roon Core and using the Identify My Device feature in Device Settings to apply the new information.
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/11-mcintosh-amps-receive-roon-tested-designation#a848k2AEAx1EoREs.99

I’ve been trying to find as much info online as I can about other people who have used the MA5300 to stream and the impression I am getting is that laptops/computers are connected to the amp via the USB input.

So you’ll see I’m quite confused!

Stu

Has to be usb connected. That article doesn’t mention anything about connectivity type just that they have been tested.

Thanks Ged. I was beginning to suspect as much. From my perspective setting things up like that won’t improve on using a Sonos connect with the MA5300 - at least that way my laptop doesn’t need to be permanently connected to the amp. Maybe in future I can find a different core that can work but for now I think I’ll cancel the Roon trial.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi @Stuart_Hamilton,

The Roon Tested designation is for devices which have been tested in our lab and we automatically apply the available audio output options (Max PCM Rate/MQA Decoding/Max Bitrate/ect.), this does not necessarily mean that it supports network communication, just that it has been tested in the lab. Roon Ready on the other hand, is reserved for audio devices which support network communication with Roon.

If you are looking for a solution to keep the DAC on USB but still have the Core separated from it, there are plenty of Network -> USB Roon network devices (such as Allo USBridge/Sonore Micro/UltraRendu or even Rasberry Pi’s running DietPi/Ropieee).

If you want to have the best of both worlds though, I would suggest looking into a Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK for short), and more info can be found in ROCK: Getting Started. If you wish to give Roon another trail in the future, do feel free to reach out to us here and flag @accounts or @support and we can put in the request.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.