Problems DSD files Roon Chord Hugo 2

Dear all,
Cannot play DSD files without crackling noises. I’ve tried WASAPI as well as ASIO. WASAPI produces a lot of electronic noise. ASIO produces almost perfect sound, but still there is an electronic hickup - minute crackle and a feeling that the music skips a beat - every 20 seconds or so.
What to do?
My setup:
The DSD (256 and 64) files are stored on a SD card in my laptop.
The problem occurs on all files.
The files were bought from NativeDSD and are good!
I’ve rebooted many times.
Could something be wrong with my settings?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Regards,
Bosse Lindquist

Hej Bosse,
Mest troligt är det i USB-överföringen du får problem… Men vi tar det på engelska;
Please, give us some details on your setup, and what kind of DAC you are using?
Atb Micke

Hello @Bo_Lindquist,

Could you try transferring a DSD file from the SD card to the laptop’s internal storage, and then playing that file using Roon?

On most laptops, the SD card reader is on the USB bus, just like the DAC. I think you may be running into a bandwidth or utilization issue when you stream high resolution DSD files from the SD card with the USB DAC working at the same time.

-John

Hi Mikael and @john
Thanks for quick response! I’m using a Chord Hugo 2 and a one year old Dell standard laptop, Win 7.
I copied the files to my laptop. No change - same crackling noises. Much more pronounced using Chords Wasapi driver than the Asio driver.
Very curious to hear what you think!
All best,
Bosse

Sorry about the long delay in answering this. Have you tried experimenting with the buffer sizes?
In Inställningar/Settings, select Ljud and then the Chord where it shows up.
I Think this might be down to a “bad” USB implementation in the Dell.
Do you have another endpoint to try? (PC, Mac, Raspberry Pi, Ethernet2USB-bridge etc?)

Hello @Bo_Lindquist,

I’m going to enable diagnostics on your account so we can get a better idea of what’s going on here. The next time you experience this behavior when playing DSD to the Hugo 2, please note the time at which this occurred and reply to this thread with the time stamp. I will then be able to request a diagnostic package from your Roon Core and the next time your Roon Core is connected to the internet the package will be delivered to our support servers.

-John

Dear Mikael and John,
Sorry for long delay on my part in replying! I had to go for a number of journeys in my job and went off the grid for a few weeks. Back now and to my surprise high-res files suddenly play without flaws via Roon! Perhaps either my laptops Windows update fixed it - or perhaps a Roon update? I keep my fingers crossed hoping the change will stick. Otherwise I’d be very happy to take John up on his kind suggestion on double-checking with diagnostics! As well as changing buffer size.
Many thanks for your helpful communication and suggestions!
Best,
Bosse