Problems with iOS app Connecting to a Core

Just as another suggestion can you post the screen shot from the web interface for ROCK.

IP settings or DNS could be an issue depending on what you have set

Iā€™ve disconnected the Ethernet > Powerline connection from the MacBook on which Core runs. The iPad is now connecting to the Core directly via WiFi, no power line involved.

1 Like

Thanks for getting in touch, @Lloyd_Borrett. Appreciated!

Speaking in regard to the ā€œat workā€ configuration, from your report I understand that the mentioned Win10 laptops are both communicating with the network via a hardwired connection to the NetGear router. Have you tested either of the laptops on WiFi to see if there are any issues connecting to the Roon core (i.e ROCK)?

-Eric

No, I havenā€™t tried that @eric but I will do. Signal strength shouldnā€™t be an issue as the laptops are within 1 metre of the NetGear router.

However, as of Sunday the work setup just got a bit more complicated. Iā€™ve added another sound system using an Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M (Raspberry Pi 3B with Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M DAC, 7" OLED Touch Screen, Volume control, Steel case, and 8 GB memory card) running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge.

Soon there will be a third sound system using a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Because I will have 3 DACs, the ROCK and two laptops hardwired on this network, i.e. 6 devices, and only 4 LAN ports on the Netgear router, Iā€™m planning to add a 5-port Netgear ProSafe GS105 Gigabit Switch into the mix. My understanding is that it shouldnā€™t matter if I plug the DACs, ROCK or laptops into the 3 remaining ports on the router switch, or the 4 remaining ports on the dedicated GS105 switch. Or does it?

Iā€™m planning to have the ROCK and two of the DACs on the router, and one DAC and the two laptops on the dedicated GS105 switch.

UPDATE: On Wednesday morning I went to add the GS105 switch and the 3rd RoPieee based DAC and found the iPad in its problems state. Fing reported the ROCK was there and could ping it. But the iPad couldnā€™t connect to the ROCK. Once again rebooting the iPad solved the problem. The work system is now setup as described above.

No I havenā€™t. But on the home system my Win10 based laptop connects to the network via Wi-Fi and it doesnā€™t have the problem. Nor does my Android based smartphone, or my Google Nexus 9.

Hi @Lloyd_Borrett ----- Thank you for getting in touch and my apologies for the slow response. A few things moving forwardā€¦

ā€œBecause I will have 3 DACs, the ROCK and two laptops hardwired on this network, i.e. 6 devices, and only 4 LAN ports on the Netgear router, Iā€™m planning to add a 5-port Netgear ProSafe GS105 Gigabit Switch into the mix. My understanding is that it shouldnā€™t matter if I plug the DACs, ROCK or laptops into the 3 remaining ports on the router switch, or the 4 remaining ports on the dedicated GS105 switch. Or does it?ā€

ā€œOn Wednesday morning I went to add the GS105 switch and the 3rd RoPieee based DAC and found the iPad in its problems state. Fing reported the ROCK was there and could ping it. But the iPad couldnā€™t connect to the ROCK. Once again rebooting the iPad solved the problem. The work system is now setup as described above.ā€

• There should be no issues with this configuration, which I assume you are now noticing since adding the new zone to your work setup :sunglasses: Have you been happy with the third zone?

• Is the firmware up to date on the DEVG2020 router?

• Are you making use of a VPN by chance?

-Eric

Havenā€™t ever updated it, so probably not. Will check it.

Have been told the firmware is automagically updated and they no longer supply firmware you download. It is supplied via CWMP server.

No.

All three zones are now working, and Iā€™m seeing whatā€™s playing on the screen of the Audiophonics RaspTouch. Unfortunately, I havenā€™t run the speaker cables for that system yet and can only listen via headphones. Fixing this might be a project for today.

The work LAN is a separate network. Itā€™s only used for the Roon music setup, a weather station to send itā€™s status online, plus staff and customer Wi-Fi access to the Internet. Not many customers in-store at this time of the year.

The business desktop and laptop PCs, NAS units, printers etc. are on a separate LAN and Internet connection. There is no connectivity between the two network setups.

Hi @Lloyd_Borrett ---- Thank you for touching base with me and my apologies for the delay on my end.

Moving forward, I wanted to first see how the update(s) went and if anything has by chance changed in regard to the performance of your IOS based Roon remotes?

Additionally, I am eager to hear of how the Wifi test with the Win10 devices went with your ā€œwork setupā€. Any observations to share? Furthermore, I was reading over your latest and I was curious about the mentioned weather station in your post. By chance have you tried testing your Roon setup at work when there is no one else using the WiFi and with the weather station application (assuming this is an application :innocent:) temporarily disable?

-Eric

The Win10 laptop normally lives on the home network. I only take it into the office when Iā€™m transferring new music onto the ROCK at work. Itā€™s rarely used as a Roon control at work. But if the problem happens while itā€™s there, Iā€™ll try it that way.

The Weather Station software runs on the Win7 based notebook connected via Ethernet cable. That software reads the data from the weather station base unit via USB and uploads it to the Weather Station web site. Thus it provides information about the local weather for customers that have to travel an hour or more to come scuba diving where we are. Iā€™ll disable it at some point and see if the problem occurs while itā€™s off. I suspect it will.

Iā€™ll check what the current software versions are when Iā€™m at work, make sure theyā€™re all up-to-date and report them to you. Has the iOS update been rolled out? My iPad Pro at home is reporting Roon Version 1.5 (build 333). ROCK at home is 1.5 (build 334).

Update: My iPad Pro at work is reporting Roon Version 1.5 (build 323). Not sure why itā€™s not updating. ROCK at home is 1.5 (build 334).

Okay, so right now my home iPad Pro is in the canā€™t connect state. The Win10 laptop Iā€™m writing this with is using Wi-Fi access to the internet and the ROCK.

The iPad can access the internet but canā€™t connect to the ROCK core. Itā€™s in itā€™s ā€œInitializingā€¦ā€ state.

Fing on the iPad can see the ROCK and ping it. @eric is there something else you want me to try while the iPad is in the problem state?

Hi @Lloyd_Borrett ---- Thank you for getting in touch and providing the requested feedback, very appreciated! A few things moving forwardā€¦

The Win10 laptop normally lives on the home network. I only take it into the office when Iā€™m transferring new music onto the ROCK at work. Itā€™s rarely used as a Roon control at work. But if the problem happens while itā€™s there, Iā€™ll try it that way.

The Weather Station software runs on the Win7 based notebook connected via Ethernet cable. That software reads the data from the weather station base unit via USB and uploads it to the Weather Station web site. Thus it provides information about the local weather for customers that have to travel an hour or more to come scuba diving where we are. Iā€™ll disable it at some point and see if the problem occurs while itā€™s off. I suspect it will.

• Please do keep me up to date on these tests and what is observed when they occur. Thanks!

Iā€™ll check what the current software versions are when Iā€™m at work, make sure theyā€™re all up-to-date and report them to you. Has the iOS update been rolled out? My iPad Pro at home is reporting Roon Version 1.5 (build 333). ROCK at home is 1.5 (build 334).

Update: My iPad Pro at work is reporting Roon Version 1.5 (build 323). Not sure why itā€™s not updating. ROCK at home is 1.5 (build 334).

• As mentioned in our B334 release notes, Android, and iOS apps remain at Build 333. For the iPad at work can you please try uninstalling the application and re-downloading the latest version of the app?

Okay, so right now my home iPad Pro is in the canā€™t connect state. The Win10 laptop Iā€™m writing this with is using Wi-Fi access to the internet and the ROCK.

The iPad can access the internet but canā€™t connect to the ROCK core. Itā€™s in itā€™s ā€œInitializingā€¦ā€ state.

Fing on the iPad can see the ROCK and ping it. @eric is there something else you want me to try while the iPad is in the problem state?

• Lloyd, I have gone ahead an enabled diagnostics on your account so we can take a closer look into this behavior for you. Once Roon is active on your core and the affected remote(s) a diagnostics report containing Roon logs from your various devices will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. If the affected remote is still in this state where is cannot connect, kindly please reboot the device so it can connect so we get the diagnostics.

-Eric

Note: Once the iPad has been updated to B333, please let me know how things behave.