Problems with playing on my Moon 280D "Audio Device Refused to switch input to Roon" [Resolved - New firmware update live]

I don’t think it goes through Roon for re-certification for new firmware.This is not the first time I have had issues with moon firmware updates.Takes months to fix.Here is what I received from moon.
I have seen many comments online about similar issues with many Roon Ready devices. When the Roon Core loses contact with the transport—whether during a firmware update or a disconnected wire—it can have trouble sometimes re-establishing its handshake. In most these cases, a simple power cycle suffices to get everything back to the way it was.

It’s always a good idea to power cycle a network device after a firmware update, not just a streamer but any device that has an IP address. If you haven’t already done so, please power cycle the 280D. In some rare cases, I understand people have been forced to reboot the Roon Core too.

I hope that helps

Roon now is big headache.When switching formats say from flac to MQA music stops every time.Was Moons latest firmware not tested before going live as it is a Roon ready device.

So sorry to hear it. I’ll test that same issue with my Ayon and let you know what I find.

It would be nice if someone from Roon would answer.

Hello @Outlaw and @Tom_Harskamp,

We’ve been able reproduce behavior similar to what you both are reporting in this thread using the latest firmware. We’ve reached out to MOON with our findings. I recommend that you both do the same.

-John

1 Like

Thanks John.Here is what Moon sent me.
I have tested my unit extensively with Roon. I can find no such issue.
There is no issue with the MiND firmware. I do not know what you are doing that is so particular, but you are the only one to report an issue recently, and the only one to have repeated issues of which I am aware. Perhaps it is time you reset all your parameters and started from scratch.
Please let use know if you figure it out. It could be helpful to know.
Thanks

Do they not give you the firmware to test first before they make a public release ???

1 Like

I already addressed this with Moon as well. Good to know it’s not only a few units but most units.

Thank you for the respons

Tom, it is not even remotely close to “most units.”
Your MOON Distribution and Retail Partners in the Netherlands are working together to resolve your issue and we (Simaudio) are still waiting for conclusive evidence of a problem that is not related to your home network. Your issue is unrelated to the one initially reported to us by @Outlaw regarding switching inputs.
If I include the other two cases of MQA-related issues of which I am aware, that makes fewer than five issues on the thousands of units currently in use around the world.
Please be careful not to spread misinformation. We are trying to understand the nature of these three possibly-unrealted issues so that we may get them resolved quickly.
Thank you.
MOON by Simaudio
Customer Support

Eric if you go to Tom’s first post it is a issue regarding switching inputs as you can see form his photos

@Outlaw , this was your initial email to me:

Have the 280D with Mind 2 module. Dac did update to latest mind module firmware tonight.Now with Roon getting starting playback on your audio device this make take a moment and audio device refused to switch input to Roon.Have seen on Roon forum other people with same issues and one said been in contact with you.Ant fix to this ??

It is difficult from that to understand how to help you.

Having re-read this entire thread, I was finally able to reproduce Tom’s issue using this extremely unorthodox configuration:

I played some files that Roon converted to DSD in realtime, as expected. The next set of files in my queue were MQA files. Roon continued to play them, but did not convert them to DSD. The next set of files in the queue were standard FLAC files and that is when Roon fell apart, when it tried to apply the realtime DSD conversion again. It began skipping file after file until I pressed Pause. Depending on when the bug occurred, Roon provided one of two error messages: “Roon lost control of the Audio device.” or “Audio device refused to switch input to Roon.”

@Tom_Harskamp , is that a fair description of the issue?

I also get theses errors.I have set in Roon to upsample to dsd 256.When going from flac to mqa music stops.Only way I get music to play again is to go into mind app switch inputs a few times then back to mind input.Sometimes even the moon mind app will freeze and become unresponsive.This only started happening after latest mind module firmware update.

@Eric_moon Yes thats is a correct summery. Anyways another question what is so unorthodox about my configuration?

Is there another way to convert to DSD and what way should that be? Its DSD DAC so I use DSD.

I also would like to know what is unorthdox about your config.Mine is the same as yours ???

Tom,
There are some DACs on the market that recognise both PCM and DCD streams and internally convert them to one or the other before converting them to analog audio. The 280D is no more a DSD DAC than it is a PCM DAC. It is a DAC that supports and converts both formats natively.
Your configuration is unorthodox because there is no reason to convert a PCM stream to DSD, especially not to DSD256. If anything, the extra processing in the Core and exceptionally high network bandwidth required to transport the DSD256 stream to your MiND 2 are taxing your Core and network unnecessarily and possibly causing some of your issues.
Does that make sense?

This only stared after firmware update.

The most recent firmware update added new tools to the MiND 2 for detecting irregular MQA tags in files.

How can I go back to previous firmware as that worked properly.Doing some testing.It seems to be okay from flac file to mqa.But when going from mqa to flac music stops and get errors.

Jason, we’re looking into it. But in the meantime, you could just disable the realtime DSD Converter on your Roon Core.

Hi Eric,

Yes, I understand. But having a fiberglass network with more than enough bandwidth and a stand-alone Roon core. Guessing it wouldn’t matter and what @Outlaw mentioned. This only started to happen after the update.

Anyways some recommend converting to DSD. It is just that the Moon 280D can do DSD I was giving it a try.

So you say. Do not convert to DSD. Hence it could not be beneficial to the sound.

1 Like