Problems with Restoring from a Back-up File

I had to change the computer being used as my Roon server. I copied the Roon Backup and the Roondata files to a USB device and then copied those files into the C drive of the new computer. I also downloaded the Roon software and then tried to restore using the backup file I had copied. I get an error message saying: “There was an error retrieving the backup listing (InvalidRoot). Please check the backup folder and try again.”

I have no clue how to correct this and use the backup. Please help.

I am using a PC with Windows 7 (64 bit).

You can’t copy database files easily, so should always use the backup and restore functions from the Settings > Backup section.

Do you still have access to your original computer with Roon Server?

I do not. The hard drive became unusable. I was lucky I could copy the files I did.

Hello Edward, I think @support need to take a look at this for you. In the meantime I think it would help if you share the following information.

Describe Your Setup
Tell us about your setup when reporting an issue. If you’re already running Roon (or trying to run Roon and having an issue), be sure to let us know:

• what version of Roon you are running ( Settings > About; If you’re running Windows, please let us know whether you’re running 32bit or 64 bit )
  • What operating system you are running ( Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc )
  • Basic information about the device you’re using ( MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc ).
  • Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)
  • Let us know your collection size ( approximate number of tracks )

Describe The Issue
(if you’re having a specific issue or crash)

Also, for the avoidance of doubt please confirm whether you have setup Scheduled Backups at some point.

Did you change the structure of the backup at all?

Really, you should just have a RoonBackups folder, and the contents of that folder shouldn’t have been modified in any way.

I didn’t touch the folder or file other than to copy them from my old computer onto a USB thumb drive and then copy them onto the C drive in my replacement computer It is the RoonBackups folder created by Roon before and it contains one file, which I have not touched…

I had no problems with running Roon on my prior computer. And, yes, I did use the automatic backup function.

I am using Roon Version 1.5 (build 360) stable (64 bit). I have a Dell Latitude E7440 with Windows 7 (64 bit). That is my server for Roon. I have a Sonos speaker system and my music is stored on a NAS (Brennan B2). I have About 2300 CD’s stored on the Brennan B2 hard drive.

I downloaded the software on the new computer and attempted to restore the backup, using “Find Backups” under Settings, using the browse function and selecting the Roonbackups folder I had copied onto the C disk of the new computer. That generated the error message I described at the beginning of this chain.

Have you attempted restoring one of the scheduled backups? And where were these backups stored? On your NAS?

I’m pretty sure you can’t restore from the copy you made to USB; that needs to be copied to the equivalent folder on the new machine.

But a word of caution … If this is your only copy I’d wait for @mike to reply before trying anything.

Hello @Edward_Adkins,

Can you please post a screenshot of the contents of your RoonBackups folder and a screenshot of the error message you get when attempting to restore from the backup using Roon Settings -> Backups -> Find Backups -> Browse? Have you selected the RoonBackups root folder and not accidentally selected one of the backup’s sub-folders? Why has your original drive become unusable, can you let us know what happened to it? Please let us know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks for your help. I will be away for 2 weeks without access to my computer. So, I will post these things when I return.

1 Like